Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unhappy thoughts from trampling  (Read 1029 times)

Mylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Unhappy thoughts from trampling
« on: November 16, 2007, 04:07:00 am »

Being trampled (walked over and forced to lie down) should cause unhappy thoughts for dwarves.  However, conversely, dwarves should try harder to avoid doing this to one another.  Often I'll see two dwarves in an otherwise empty 2 wide hallway where one tramples the other instead of taking a diagonal step.

Jusal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unhappy thoughts from trampling
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 04:33:00 am »

You can use traffic zones to avoid this.

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 07:33:00 am »

Seconded. I'm pretty sure even dwarves wouldn't appreciate being stepped on.
I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Buoyancy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 11:32:00 am »

If we are going to assume that every square is no larger than the size of a dwarf, which is required for this to make sense, then the speed at which dwarves move has to be greatly increased.  They currently walk at a rate of several hours per metre, which results in most of a dwarves day being taken up by walking a couple of hundred metres from home to work.

Stij

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 11:47:00 am »

Yeah, the time in this game has never really made sense to me.

I like the way the Sims and the Elite series handled it, imo: you can speed up time at will. So, if something is going to take a while, just press a button to go into fast-forward mode. This way you can have realistic time and still not have to wait forever for anything to happen.

This would require a big change to the game, though, so I doubt it would happen any time soon. Oh well, I can live with the system we have.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 11:48:00 am »

Won't they all take the same path even after you designate traffic?  I thought that was just to help them avoid certain areas

Mylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 01:04:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Buoyancy:
<STRONG>If we are going to assume that every square is no larger than the size of a dwarf, which is required for this to make sense, then the speed at which dwarves move has to be greatly increased.  They currently walk at a rate of several hours per metre, which results in most of a dwarves day being taken up by walking a couple of hundred metres from home to work.</STRONG>

But they only have to drink 6 times a year and eat twice a year!  OR something like that.  Movement may be slow compared to other tasks, but it's part of the abstraction.

At least it's not like The Sims 2 where it can take an hour to walk from the third floor to the carpool car, by which time the carpool car has left.  And this needs to be done 4 times a week!

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 01:09:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Stij:
<STRONG>
I like the way the Sims and the Elite series handled it, imo: you can speed up time at will. So, if something is going to take a while, just press a button to go into fast-forward mode. This way you can have realistic time and still not have to wait forever for anything to happen.

This would require a big change to the game, though, so I doubt it would happen any time soon. Oh well, I can live with the system we have.</STRONG>

This is impossible, the game always run as fast as it can (unless you are hitting the fps cap, which you can already raise).

There is no way to make it go faster without upgrading your computer.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!