Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making useless artifacts useful  (Read 753 times)

Captain_Action

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Making useless artifacts useful
« on: August 23, 2006, 06:25:00 pm »

The dwarves can make nearly anything into an artifact (food too?) but most are just junk and some are more of a curse when creating dwarf refuses to let go.

So I made this thread to come up with suggest for the more lame artifacts.

Doors and floodgates:
Indestrutible except by one material.
intelligence - The door can open to friends and stay closed to enemies, automaticly
Teleporter - The door is connected to another artifact door. Can be one way!(Can the pathing engine handle teleporters Toady?)
Expander - The door grow to fit any opening!

Containers:
Alchemical - when the item is filled/stuffed with a fluid/items, it will transmute the contants into a different/random fluid.
Holding - The container holds more than it should.
Holding 2 - The internals of the container is  one of the fortress'es own stock piles! (Again teleportation)
Hungry - The container eats items, dwarves sometimes!
Time Bandit - The container can steal things from the future! This lead to bad things happening as "interest" is paid by losing items over time. The more you borrow, the higher the interest payments.   :eek:

Beds:
Sound Sleeper - A tantruming dwarf couldn't disrupt the sleep of dwarf on this bed.
Medical - wounds heal quicker
Safe Sleeper - come flood, dragonfire, lizardmen, no harm shall come to the sleeper.

You guys get the idea...

[ August 23, 2006: Message edited by: Captain_Action ]

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making useless artifacts useful
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 06:30:00 pm »

Making artifacts more interesting is a feature planned for the future.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 02:14:00 am »

It should be much more random than this, though. Preset magic items are booring. They should have a chance of creating a flaming door that will yell at enemies menacingly as they approach if you keep it fed. Or a weapon that becomes a pet to one of your dwarves, wandering around and slaying enemies as it sees them. Or a piece of food that will never run out, but also happens to be made from dwarf meat soaked in spider venom.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

GauHelldragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 08:43:00 pm »

On the subject of artifacts, if it's a weapon or piece of equipment, how about having the creator of the artifact actually equip it, instead of just carrying it?

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 11:47:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Eagleon:
<STRONG>It should be much more random than this, though. Preset magic items are booring. They should have a chance of creating a flaming door that will yell at enemies menacingly as they approach if you keep it fed. Or a weapon that becomes a pet to one of your dwarves, wandering around and slaying enemies as it sees them. Or a piece of food that will never run out, but also happens to be made from dwarf meat soaked in spider venom.</STRONG>

What I mean is that essentially all the powers of artifacts are planned for later updates; like almost anything magical, they're just not in yet.  In other words, artifacts aren't random yet because artifacts aren't anything yet, just empty gem-studded shells that will one day contain fantastic powers.  Artifact weapons have super-sharpness or whatever, yeah, but I assume that's because that was just two lines of code or something to implement.  The actual utility of artifacts is still to come.

To be clear:  Except for weapons, and aside from their innate high value, artifacts do nothing at the moment.  Nada.  Zilch.  They look pretty and your dwarves gain big bonuses for making them, but that's all.

[ September 09, 2006: Message edited by: Aquillion ]

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2006, 02:41:00 am »

And they're indestructible.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2006, 03:24:00 am »

Well, yes, but almost everything is indestructible in all the ways that count currently anyway.  Even your cheapy obsidian weapons won't break, and even though an artifact door might technically be indestructible, it could just get knocked over.  (The old "but the hinges aren't artifacts" problem.)

[ September 09, 2006: Message edited by: Aquillion ]

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2006, 04:58:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Aquillion:
(The old "but the hinges aren't artifacts" problem.)

"Moe's Tavern, home to the finest bar crystal in Springfield..." *Pat. Pat.*
*CRASH*
"Ugh... Shouldn't have cheaped out on the shelf."

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2006, 12:51:00 pm »

Well yes, I knew that, Aquillion. :P My post was in response to Captain_Action's ideas, not your response. I guess I should use the reply-to feature more often, but I thought that was obvious.

Nyar.

[ September 09, 2006: Message edited by: Eagleon ]

Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044