Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Elves with steel?  (Read 1263 times)

mitternacht

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Elves with steel?
« on: September 17, 2009, 10:37:48 am »

I noticed some of the tree huggers I'm killing have steel weapons and armor. Does that mean they beat dwarves at some point or beat someone who beat the dwarves? Also how do you tell the exact skill levels of NPC's other than if they've been given a name?

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
Re: Elves with steel?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 12:59:03 pm »

There's no way to tell what their skills are. If they've been given a name, it's just because they killed a lot of things (probably pansies like elves and kobolds).

Yeah, I would say that humans beat dwarves and elves beat humans (or elves beat humans, gained iron, and beat dwarves). Elves and dwarves don't seem to fight very much in worldgen anyway and steel > wood.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 03:15:44 pm »

I think that it was more likely that Dwarves beat elves. Isn't that how the materials propagate?
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 06:22:30 pm »

ya they only gain the skill if they are conquered by them, big question, are they ambushing or straight forward siege?
Nom nom nom

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 05:44:19 pm »

There's no way to tell what their skills are. If they've been given a name, it's just because they killed a lot of things (probably pansies like elves and kobolds).

Yeah, I would say that humans beat dwarves and elves beat humans (or elves beat humans, gained iron, and beat dwarves). Elves and dwarves don't seem to fight very much in worldgen anyway and steel > wood.

The reason is most likely none of those.  It is most likely because goblins kidnapped baby elves and gave them steel.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 09:26:27 pm »

Thought goblins only had iron.

Anyway, if a civ is conquered, its members that join the conquering civ inherit their entity file- which includes metal pref.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 11:21:14 am »

ya goblins only use iron...... so It had to be something along the lines of dwarves conquered them, then the elves revolted or some shit and kept the steel but became enemies of the dwarves.
Nom nom nom

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 03:56:27 pm »

Keep in mind there can be more than one dwarf civ.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 04:12:41 pm »

goblins have steel sometimes.

Or at least they did when 3d version first came out, though now that I think about it I've only seen them bring iron lately so maybe that was an odd bug that's been fixed?
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!