Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Food's a hassle... am I doing it wrong?  (Read 4199 times)

ac31

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
Re: Food's a hassle... am I doing it wrong?
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2009, 04:28:05 am »

Add this to the dwarf raws (first item in creature_standard):
Code: [Select]
[IGNITE_POINT:9001]
[SEVERONBREAKS]
It's not much, but it will help out your food problems quite a bit, without leaving you feeling like you cheated.

thats either an attempt to troll a newbie, or a humorous and lateral solution to the problem whilst making a reference to an overused and unfunny internet joke

i think the latter is more likely to be true  ;)
Just wondering if it would be possible (however unwise) to make demons a civilisation
I don't see any reason they couldn't be. What would happen if they breached the HFS?
Horrors! Annoying relatives in the deep!

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2009, 06:35:58 am »

Add this to the dwarf raws (first item in creature_standard):
Code: [Select]
[IGNITE_POINT:9001]
[SEVERONBREAKS]
It's not much, but it will help out your food problems quite a bit, without leaving you feeling like you cheated.

thats either an attempt to troll a newbie, or a humorous and lateral solution to the problem whilst making a reference to an overused and unfunny internet joke

i think the latter is more likely to be true  ;)
It would leave you with more than enough food to go around, you must admit. :D :D :D 8)
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2009, 09:20:30 pm »

This works for me:

1. Make more farm plots than you'll use. Above and below ground, assign 25% of the population to work them.
2. When elves come, rob them. Steal all their food and drink and animals.
3. When humans or dwarves come, always buy food, drink and animals.
4. Butcher animals regularly.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2009, 07:18:49 am »

I honestly don`t know how you can have not enough food.

2 Growers maybe 2 fisherdwarves and one brewer is more than enough to feed ~60, 70, 80 dwarves.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2009, 08:39:06 am »

I've never bothered with fisherdwarves. One fisher can depopulate an area, seems kind of a waste.

Seriously, one farmer. That's all you need. You're crippling yourselves by assigning more than one. You're only getting 1 food from each farm plot because you're letting dabbling growers plant your fields. If you started with one at professional and made him do nothing but plant, you would be getting 5 food from every field plot, and the single legendary planter could manage three fields. You'd be swimming in food and booze, plus you could spare a field or even two for cloth production.

Farming is an industry where less is more.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2009, 04:06:50 pm »

I've never bothered with fisherdwarves. One fisher can depopulate an area, seems kind of a waste.

Seriously, one farmer. That's all you need. You're crippling yourselves by assigning more than one. You're only getting 1 food from each farm plot because you're letting dabbling growers plant your fields. If you started with one at professional and made him do nothing but plant, you would be getting 5 food from every field plot, and the single legendary planter could manage three fields. You'd be swimming in food and booze, plus you could spare a field or even two for cloth production.

Farming is an industry where less is more.

I'm sure this is the case but I hate to have endless supplies of idlers.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2009, 10:22:57 pm »

So build a megaproject. Assign everyone to stone detailing and smooth out all of the exploratory mining you did. Build a military that dwarfs (haha) the roman legions. Mass dump all that stone in your fortress to right outside your craftsdwarf and mason's workshops. Expand your stonecrafting industry so you can make 30,000 alunite mugs in the month between caravan's arriving.

You're pretty much shooting yourself in the foot, at least don't package it as good advice. Large scale farming can be a megaproject, called a plantation, but it's not really a good idea (megaprojects never are, you build them for their own sake, not because they make sense).
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]