Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Republic Mode  (Read 525 times)

StealthArcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Republic Mode
« on: May 12, 2008, 10:36:00 pm »

I hate monarchs, monarchies, and the general above, any despotic form of government disgusts me, as such all of my nobles get rooms with floodgates, and either starve, are drowned, or magmized.

It would probably be way too much work to make a choice for an actual "republic" or "democracy" of sorts, but I would like to have the ability to tell the snotted **** buggers to jack off.

Justice can stay, but this ridiculous "I dina get what my right pinky finger wanted today, so you in jail > :(" can be forever gone and not be missed.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Republic Mode
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 11:54:00 pm »

Different types of government are in the works, of course, but I think you can turn off the economy and thus certain nobles in the raws.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 06:53:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Capntastic:
<STRONG>Different types of government are in the works, of course, but I think you can turn off the economy and thus certain nobles in the raws.</STRONG>

Nah.  The tax collector still shows up with economy off.

Just use Dwarven Democracy:  Put their bed in a separate room on top of a bridge over a chasm.  If they get voted out of office, they get voted OUT of office.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 09:36:00 am »

They still keep sucking up your immigration when they do that, though, and IIRC killing off enough dwarves will discourage others from moving to your fort.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 10:51:00 am »

I don't really see how republics and/or democracies are any less prone to despotic rule in the long run. The nobles will simply have different names, and the mandate origins may change for a time to the common will of the people (have a lot of people who like trifle pewter? Good luck with that), but eventually a powerful personality will emerge and become a rallying cry, and everyone and their cat will do whatever he says. Then, regardless of the system, a single person will be dishing out orders.

This is not to say that I dislike this idea. Infact, I love it for the situations it could produce. I'm just saying that expecting things to be any different under a new kind of management is a tad unrealistic.

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss.   ;)

In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Alex Encandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 11:06:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Derakon:
<STRONG>They still keep sucking up your immigration when they do that, though, and IIRC killing off enough dwarves will discourage others from moving to your fort.</STRONG>

A few dwarves a year won't have a noticable effect. One thing though, make sure you kill both of a couple, I have 3 duke consorts and 1 dutchess because my last 2 dutchesses died from depression over my failure to complete their demands.

Onolerar (Desert Fort) Map Thread
Hammerwalls (Ocean Fort) Map Thread
Fountaintomb (Aged fort) Map Thread
Earthday (Hazard Fort) Map: Thread:

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 01:52:00 pm »

I tend to prefer a monarchy... at least then you know who's in charge  :p
Demon of Darkness

Seryntas

• Bay Watcher
  • has created a masterpiece!
    • View Profile
    • RPGWW Forums
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 02:24:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Willfor:
<STRONG>eventually a powerful personality will emerge and become a rallying cry, and everyone and their cat will do whatever he says.</STRONG>

An exploitable mechanism to assign labor to pet cats?  Sign me up!

"Nectar and ambrosia are all the gods are allowed to eat in Greek mythology. In that way they're kind of like pandas. You know, in diet. From there the similarities break down." -my Greek Lit TA