Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ore veins much thiner ?  (Read 659 times)

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ore veins much thiner ?
« on: August 23, 2006, 03:44:00 pm »

It has been suggested already : There really are plenty of ore. We don't really need to go to look for it.
Maybe should ore weins be much thiner (1 square thin). It would make them much more difficult to follow (if the other one is in diagonal, you can't see which one)

it might make ore gathering interesting...

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ore veins much thiner ?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 04:19:00 pm »

No.  This would essentially just force players to dig lots of extra lines to find ore, which wouldn't be very fun.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 04:25:00 pm »

No not to dig extra lines, just to follow the weins, because random digging would not be enough...

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 04:34:00 pm »

...I don't understand what you mean.

First, I can't understand why would we want to make it harder to follow ore once you've found it.  There is absolutely nothing fun about having to constantly babysit your mining operations and correct them to follow the ore.  If anything, I think an 'auto-follow vein' command would be a very nice thing.

Second, I don't understand how your suggestion is supposed to achieve your dubious end anyway.  Players who are currently selecting a broad swath to get at the ore would still be able to do the exact same thing...  maybe with slightly lower returns, but digging is so fast that it wouldn't matter.

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Quiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 04:41:00 pm »

Well, there isn't always ready ore of the right type.  But what should your outpost be doing if it has more ore than it can use?  Trade it to outposts that have pretty much depleted their ores.  Perhaps there should be heavy duty dwarven wagons that will come and bring charcoal, food and weapons in return for bars of metal.  (Weight allowance being the main difficulty in trading the metal bars).

Or this could be combined with ideas about limited types of ore in one location, and you can trade your ores for other ores.  (Or bars for other bars more likely)

Really, what would be more realistic is that you have maybe one type of ore per section.  If you find iron, you start ramping up your weapon making, if you find silver you start making crafts and coins, and then what you can't make easily you trade for.  Finished goods are expensive but the caravans can carry a lot of them, metals are cheaper but they can only get so much to you at a time.  Of course, that would mean you are probably in pretty bad shape if you find zinc, or anything where you need multiple metals to do anything useful with.  Still if they can haul up raw materials they can haul down raw materials, and maybe you can get enough to smelt your bronze or brass somewhat economically.

Kjoery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 06:06:00 pm »

I'm quite happy with the ore rate; I mean, it might seem excessive, but it also means that you wont run out of it, and get frustrated.
And it's more realistic.

[ August 23, 2006: Message edited by: Kjoery ]

dav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 09:01:00 pm »

I think it's actually more realistic to have thick ore, at least in places.  I'm not sure that it adds to the game to be *more* OCD about hunting the stuff down.

Maurog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 11:21:00 pm »

We don't need less ore, we need more coal!

If there is any coal implemented, I'm yet to find a single piece of it...

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006, 02:16:00 am »

Ok