Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crop failures  (Read 619 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Crop failures
« on: November 15, 2007, 10:08:00 pm »

I'd like to see years that are just bad for some crops:  1/4 normal yield, which often means no production for your seed.  If you really wanted to be vicious, don't tell the player until the first plant of that kind sprouts.  (The first cave wheat of the year has sprouted, and it is withered and nearly inedible!  Your dwarves should find an alternative source of food, and fast.)

Different biomes should have different production for different crops, and maybe regions have their own chances of crop failure.  IE sure you can TRY to grow X in the desert, but most of the time there's no point; some years you can get something out of it however.

It should be quite easy to find a region with a few very reliable crops.  But this might not always be the same region you wanted to settle in.  Living in the mountains?  It might be rough on you.

And I fully expect that subterranean crops suffer the same fate!  Why should my pig tails grow on all kinds of rock, in all years?

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Bingbing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crop failures
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 10:30:00 pm »

No.
Beware. Not of the E, or of the U, or even of the &, @, and b. Beware the #.<BR>(Translation:) Beware. Not of the elephants, or of the unicorns, or even the demons, carp, and badgers. Beware the husks, for they are relentless, corrupting, and unstoppable. Only the might of hell itself can even keep it in check; and only for a small period of time. If one sees such a being; run away, unless you like the idea of joining their ranks.

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 11:25:00 pm »

This would undoubtedly make the already significant learning curve of the game even steeper, for the sake of adding potential challenge for veteran players and seasoned forts. I'd be all for that, but I question how much challenge this would actually add. It seems like it would be another obstacle to learning the game, but only an annoyance after that. It would actually probably be a bigger blow to textile industry than it would to food supplies; since cloth production is already an unnecessary luxury of no importance and of dubious value, failures in plant fiber or dye crops would just be a hassle without actually managing to threaten the fort in any way. As for failures in food crops... even at 1/4 crop yield feeding a fort would still be laughably easy under most circumstances. A long-standing fort will have enough experienced farmers to produce ridiculous food surpluses under normal conditions and a sufficiency at 1/4 rate, and a newly founded fort can lean on hunting/fishing/plant gathering.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 11:43:00 pm »

And while we're at it let's throw in disease that can devastate entire herds of livestock.

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 11:45:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Earthquake Damage:
<STRONG>And while we're at it let's throw in disease that can devastate entire herds of livestock.</STRONG>

I'm sold, as long as this gets rid of all the damn cats.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 11:47:00 pm »

Maybe Toady could let us designate pets for neutering.  Sort of like we slaughter them now.

Len B

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 12:45:00 am »

Heh, you should be able to designate a spay/neuter, and the animal gets nabbed by the Animal Trainer, dragged to the kennel and fixed, producing 1 meat.

I'm hoping that Hidden_Fun_Stuff means crop circles get implemented.  They only appear when the plot is not on screen and has no hot keys within range.

Len, "The Staplerlord", Mighty Evil Master of the Office Supplies.<BR>Len has been grumpy lately. He slept in a meager bedroom recently.<BR>Len likes bicycles, ninjas, the color clear, and succubi for their suckulence.<BR>  When possible, he prefers to consume souls of the marginally damnned just before the last spark of hope expires deep within.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 02:56:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Bingbing:
<STRONG>No.</STRONG>

Seconded.
A 1/4 yeild would mean that 100 seeds becomes 25 crops which become 50 seeds.  What a way to completely screw a player.