Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More frequent attacks from the river, chasm, and front,  (Read 731 times)

grendel

More frequent attacks from the river, chasm, and front,
« on: August 23, 2006, 02:17:00 pm »

I am currently playing on a haunted map. I've been attacked, over the course of 5 years, maybe three times. All three attacks were small ordeals of three or fewer lizardman or frogmen who were promptly torn in half by my war dogs.

Where are the enemies of dwarves? Where are the foes who would invade my fortress and exterminate my people?

I'd really like to be attacked several times a season, in good force each time, from the front, and from the river, and from the chasm. I'd be even happier if there were a special map difficulty where monster attacks can happen dozens of times in a single season-- in a word, mayhem.

I am aware of the demons behind the lava, but what about intermediate challenges? It is a bit boring to go several years unmolested by my enemies, just to build up for one climactic battle that will end everything.

Please increase the frequency and strength of attacks on the more evil map difficulties, or please add new harder difficulties to the mix. There's not enough fighting and not enough blood.      :(

[ August 23, 2006: Message edited by: grendel ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: More frequent attacks from the river, chasm, and front,
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 02:31:00 pm »

The evilness level of the maps just referred to the character of the wandering wilderness creatures.  Since there's no armies on the world map yet, you just get some generated goblin armies on occasion (unless you anger the other civs).  It's odd that you haven't been attacked by goblins at this point, maybe they'll come soon.  Later in the game it shouldn't be unusual to be attacked by 100 goblins from outside.  The river/chasm attacks should also increase in severity over time, including attacks by mounted units.  The pacing might be too slow as it is, at least for maps that have text indicating they are hard.  At the same time, the difficulty level inside the mountain shouldn't necessarily be tied to the outdoor text.  As a shorter term solution, there might need to be another map field which controls the difficulty of underground populations.  Once underground civilizations are added, there will be much more control as well.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

grendel

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 02:44:00 pm »

There have been two kobold attacks outside. Still, two attacks in five years is not a lot, and all they did was kill a few dwarves who were loitering outside in violation of my order to stay indoors. Once they reached the entrance my fortress, they stopped attacking and just went home.

They didn't try to assault the fortress at all.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 02:56:00 pm »

Kobold squads only ever do distraction attacks for thieves to try to take things.  It's the goblins that run the larger attacks, and apparently that just hasn't happened.  Bummer.  So it says here that once you have stepped up any of the main noble paths, gobs should attack every 4 seasons or so, though they start with kidnappings.  Any kidnappings?  Do goblins appear in your [c] civ list?  After a few kidnap attempts the attacks have a 50% chance to manifest as invasions, in which case they chill out for a while afterward.  The pacing there is probably too slow overall for an "evil" region, especially in light of the new immigration numbers, although the text isn't actually used for goblin attacks.  If you have had some minor goblin incidents, it's just up to chance what happens from now on (I suppose it shouldn't be after some point -- but a lot of this is going to be determined by the world map situation later and isn't worth excessive fiddling, but some tweaks are fine).

edit:  by step up a noble path here, I mean for gobs, you need to have ever had one of the mayor, trade minister or treasurer.  they don't need to be alive.

[ August 23, 2006: Message edited by: Toady One ]

grendel

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 03:00:00 pm »

So far, no kidnappings and no goblins in the civilization list.

Could the problem be that my population has been at about 80 and never higher? The dwarven caravan never went home [I posted about this in the bug report forum just a few moments ago] and I stopped getting immigrants.

edit:

Ahh, yeah. I never got those nobles, and probably never will, since I'm not getting more immigrants.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 03:03:00 pm »

Ah, it must be the lack of reports home.  Your population is fine, but the busted caravan is stopping nobles/imms from coming.  If any other dwarven caravans are coming, they'll handle reporting though, but this one might be stopping them from coming if you haven't seen them.  If you can send in a save with the busted caravan, that would help.  (region#.sav + region# folder to toadyone@bay12games.com or posted somewhere I can DL it).

grendel

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 03:05:00 pm »

Sure, I'll send it. I did drown some of the caravan members, but one is still alive. They might all be alive in a backup save, though... let me see. I'll send that one if they are.

edit: The backup is no good. Sending you the most recent one with only one caravan guy alive. You'll find him near a furniture stockpile just west of the cave river.

Okay, it finally sent!  :)