Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Multiple Questions, I want that Modded...  (Read 1059 times)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Multiple Questions, I want that Modded...
« on: July 31, 2009, 07:54:45 am »

I have been searching and searching for a while now...
Its approaching Midnight in my little area of the world and I still haven't seen anything that can answer my questions. I am not a proficient modder but I am something close to competent...

What I am attempting is a couple of things, you see over last couple of years I have fallen in love with the PSP game known as Monster Hunter Freedom. And what I was thinking was. Heck why not, lets have some Velocipreyto hunt in DF and DA. Let's make Rathalos a Mega Beast and so on...

I mean wouldn't you want to fight this...
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/monsterhunter/images//a/a0/Rathalos1.png

Now the main problems is the fact that you obviously can't mod something as crazy as MHF into DF and getting the same feeling. But what I am after is these three things...

1. Monsters are able to drop different items according to a percentage. I know that multiple Itemcorpse tags don't work (always uses the last tag) but I swear I saw someone say something about using a Matgloss File to make random drops, I just can't find that page again. Maybe it was the sleep in my eyes...

2. Making Weapons/armour/stuff out of the stuff that is dropped. I mean like in MHF you can combine Fangs, Iron and some Hide and you can make some kick ass armour...
Combine some Iron, Precious Ore and a Firesac from a big Monster and you get a sword that exerts fire on contact. I just couldn't find any info on a way to change the raws to make combinations for weapons, except through Smelters, heck perhaps a Smelter Reaction to combine them into a bar that is taken to the Metalsmiths (kinda like its spos to work) but how am I able to adjust the Output on the damage side, like Copper is 33% weaker then Iron while steel is 33% stronger (or what ever the right numbers are)...
How do I adjust that, can't find it again...

Last but not least...
3. Breeding Megabeasts, I think I saw that it was impossible. But I just want to double check what I think I know I have to do to make it so. In MHF a Rathalos is the Male Gender, and a Rathian is the Female Gender. (ones red the others green). Is there a way to make Megabeasts that have different names for the Males and Females, and will they ever breed??? I mean I think it says that Megabeasts are like one a site but will I need to make them Semi or something???

Its a full overhaul of the Raws but I want to try it. I mean I want to get my head around Modding, and become Proficient at the very least...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Shakma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple Questions, I want that Modded...
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 08:08:13 am »

1. No, you can't make them drop random things.  At best you could have it drop a stone or something called a "corpse" and then open it in a smelter for random items.  You'll pretty much need a smelter for any funny business.

2.  This can work in a couple ways.  You will need to do it at the smelter.  You can combine items and have it output another item.  Weapons will work.  You could make weird weapons out of any material that will do any type and amount of damage.  Armor will not fit, it will be 'large' so if you want armor, you need it to spit out a bar like you said and then make it yourself.  It will have to be normal plate but of a different material.  You'll want make a new metal and give it whatever tags and damage/protection amounts you want.  Look in the metals raws to see the numbers.  Iron is 100/100.  Copper is 66/66.  Steel is 133/133.  Also add the [DEEP] tag to it so it doesn't show up other places.  Check the wiki on modding or search the forums or ask here with some specifics and peeps will help.

3.  You can't breed megabeasts.  You definietey can't breed two different species of megabeasts.  The possible workaround is to remove the megabeast tag after you capture them. 

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 08:16:09 am »

1. I was hoping I wouldn't would make a pretty interesting Dwarf Adventure Mode if I didn't. I really wish I could find that page where I thought I saw that info about the Matgloss being able to make Random items fall out of the Monster...

2. I swear that I looked in the raws and saw nothing on those numbers, probably looking at the Stone file where the Raw Ore is...
But what about if I want to make Weapon A made from combination 1 stronger then Weapon B made from combination 1... Like a Sword from C1 stronger the the Hammer from C1...

3. Don't want to capture them really, just make it so that there is tons of them out there. Deadly but hey they are Giant Monsters. I get tired of Mega's dying out to one or 2 at the end of the 200th year...
If one dies I want a youth to come around a few years later and takes its place. You know...
Like I was thinking though, Semimega's breed don't they???
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 08:47:41 am »

1) Matgloss tokens will allow you to create random types of an item, like having a golem that will drop iron if it is made of iron or copper if it is made of copper. But they will not let you drop random items.

2) You want to be looking in the matgloss_metal file and you want to be looking for the tags [DAMAGE_PERC:] and [BLOCK:PERC:]. They aren't on every metal, but they are on quite a few.

3) Neither semi's or megabeasts will breed, however, you can make their be more megabeasts in existence if you make them have both the [SEMIMEGABEAST] and the [MEGABEAST] tag, because they will then spawn as both megabeasts and semimegabeasts. I don't believe that the semi ones of the species will attack your fort though.

Also just one other thing, sorry for being a little bit of a grammar nazi, but could you try to cut down on the number of '...' in your typing. A ... symbolizes trailing off into a long pause, so it sounds like you are really exhausted or something.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 08:51:48 am »

Yes, megabeasts will breed. However, the vanilla ones don't due to the lack of child tags. Add these, and they will breed. For the different names for a gender, use [SPECNAME:MALE:malename] and [SPECNAME:FEMALE:femalename].

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 09:00:45 am »

If you notice mate. Its at the end of the paragraphs or moving into a separate thought. Like it dictates in its meaning...

Its something I picked up and can't get rid of... And its not like I do it in the middle of something.... Like that... Y'know...
Hey at least I am not like my Old man,  he  puts  two  spaces  between  every  word  when  he  types  in  an  email  so  it  takes  him  an  hour  to  type  something  like  my  first  post. And its all with one finger two...

I do use the normal period dot when I when I need to start a new sentence though...
Anywho...

1. That's what I read in the end, damn it I thought it was something else...
Oh well. Perhaps Toady will include something like extra drops next release or so...

2. Yeah I had another look though and found it. I might have to work around Smelters for a bit if I want this to happen...

3. That was the final thing I couldn't remember reading. God I need sleep...

Cheers to you two, I did read this already through searching but it was so wide spread and me seeing contradicting accounts every third or so threads didn't help. Thanks again...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 06:06:36 am »

Yes, megabeasts will breed.

They will breed but not in world gen.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 08:36:38 am »

If you want to do any sort of advanced DF modding. You need to use Smelters. It's pretty much unresolvable.

I believe the next release will turn the Kitchen and certain other workshops into using a Smelter-like system, so you'll be able to do more without the Smelter then.

And you can indeed have different combinations of items result in different things; i believe it's possible to tell the Smelter to use different kinds of items together, so you can create one reaction that uses item A, B and C and outputs weapon X, while a different reaction uses item A, B and D, and outputs weapon Y.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 10:41:20 am »

I believe the next release will turn the Kitchen and certain other workshops into using a Smelter-like system, so you'll be able to do more without the Smelter then.
Please please please give a proof. I'd be happy about it! Sadly I can't find Toady's words about it... And it means that it's just another sitting duck. :(
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository