Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: new starting challange: starting 7 with history!  (Read 1760 times)

Drakis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
new starting challange: starting 7 with history!
« on: July 27, 2009, 04:14:36 am »

im going to post a challange for everyone that ive been doing.

STEP ONE:
you need to kill off your civ in worldgen so you dont get caravans or migrants...    that in itself is fun.

in the entity raw file, adjust your civ to this:

max_starting_civ_number:1
start_group_number:1
max_pop_number:1
max_site_pop_number:1

and then let the world gen past year 100 or so.  99% of the time you will start with no mountianhome.

STEP TWO:
replace [intelligent] with [can_civ] and [can_learn] in the goblin, human, and elf creature raws (and any other races you have added in) so that everyone in the world is at war with you.

STEP THREE:
find a place to embark that isnt too hard...   you are already making the game hard enough...   if you have a good site with all the features saved, use it.

STEP FOUR:
choose embark skills.  when you embark, you MUST tailor each dwarf's skills based on his pre-generated personality!   eg:  if your dwarf likes picks, he can be a miner, if he likes glass, his job is a glassmaker, if he likes cats, you must bring a cat.  in addition to this, you MUST choose two social skills based on the personality traits at the end of the dwarf description.   eg, if the dwarf is highly organized, he gets +1 organizer, if he likes to compromise, +1 negotiating.

STEP FIVE:
choosing equipment:  with the jobs of your 7 dwarves chosen by his personality, you can choose ONE job-specific item per dwarf.  EG, if a dwarf likes anvils and you make him a smith, he can bring an anvil.   if you have a miner who likes picks, he can bring a pick.    if you have someone who likes plants, he can bring a few (3-10) seeds of ONLY the type they like.

STEP SIX:
have 'fun'      the first time i did this, i ran the world with sergals and orcs added in...   i got slaughtered by the first ambush of sergals..  second attempt, owned by orcs.    and to my shame, this last time...   i got killed by elves mounted on horses...   apparently when mounted, they cant open a door, and thus the entire ambush squad was waiting there when a dwarf opened the door to go get some wood...    16 elves on horses piled into three squares...

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
Re: new starting challange: starting 7 with history!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 10:32:39 am »

Outta curiosity, what happens if no one in your group likes picks or axes?   :o  Are you stuck 'round your campfire?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 10:39:41 am »

Only problem though, you can't look at your dwarves personalities on the embark screen (you know, where you allocate skills and buy supplies). Maybe if you use dwarf companion though.....

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 11:11:16 am »

Only problem though, you can't look at your dwarves personalities on the embark screen (you know, where you allocate skills and buy supplies). Maybe if you use dwarf companion though.....
You sure can.  Pressing v while a dwarf is highlighted will show his personality.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 11:16:03 am »

I was going to ask how, but I decided to wait and see, and lo and behold, you have taught me something useful. I bow to you, sir.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Shakma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 11:37:53 am »

I'm doing something like this right now only with only limited gear and no food.  It's a rough start relying on getting to a UG river fast and hoping enough food grows before everyone kills themselves.  Since you won't have traders, you can just add the [ITEM_THIEF] tag to dwarves and you'll still have named siegers I'm pretty sure without any ill effects.  I haven't managed to live that long yet, but almost.   

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 11:52:33 am »

Ooooh.... do you mind if I use this for one of the DF Master's Competitions? This sounds like it could be the perfect challenge for the more militarily minded of players.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 12:19:32 pm »

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

We'd need the raws to go along with it (which would allow adding in orcs, etc. if you desired) but that'd be quite an advanced challenge.

With no trading, there'd need to be a broad set of starting features (a subterranean river will allow you to get subterranean seeds if you don't embark with any, for example). But a military fortress with no anvil and nobody dropping dwarf sized armor would simply turn into a trapfest. Remember, it took Morul and Captain Ironblood decades to be able to do what they can.

Drakis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 05:05:56 pm »

the game im doing it in right now has my own custom species modded in as the playable civ, draconians.   humanoid dragons.   i have an entire item set for them, pets, and even plants.

i could easilly do a mock-up of standard dwarves with the same type of situation and make sure that everything gens properly...   though i did show all the steps in setting it up already...

i had lots of fun in my last embark like this, was lucky and got 3 that liked picks, one that likes anvils, and one that liked axes...   but then i found out that i didnt leave it in worldgen long enough and my civ wasnt dead...    had to restart...   i choose the embark, look over the prefs, and if i dont have a good start, (IE no miner or no axe or no anvil) i abort and embark again.

edit:

also, reguarding food, you can still kill your starting mules and gather outdoor plants for food too until you are set up

edit again:

oh...   i so wish that this group had an anvil...   had one guy like elves, one like goblins, one like dragons, and one like cats...    but no anvil...   alas...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 05:11:59 pm by Drakis »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 10:01:28 pm »

You sure can.  Pressing v while a dwarf is highlighted will show his personality.

heh, didn't know that.

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 10:01:25 pm »

oh...   i so wish that this group had an anvil...   had one guy like elves, one like goblins, one like dragons, and one like cats...    but no anvil...   alas...

Sounds like these dwarves are on a diplomatic mission...which means they clearly have the plans to the DWARF STAR!

Probably hidden in the short one that whistles a lot.

Telcontar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 03:42:27 am »

A short dwarf? Isn't that, like, an amoeba?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2009, 07:41:10 am »

A short dwarf? Isn't that, like, an amoeba?

It's a Star Wars reference, you know, R2D2?

Drakis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2009, 03:48:37 pm »

update on my embark:

starting embark:

used tweak to adjust to 10 draconians (my own personal DF race) for 5 breeding couples.   embarked with an axe lover, a miner, an anvil lover, and the rest were misc.  custom profs:  excavator, feller, forger, blower (glass), feaster, furrower, tapestrist, stoner (crafts), huntsman, crystalist (gem)

ive used this location alot, so i know where everything is, quickly uncovered the magma and underground pool to reveal them and then set about making the entrance.   the 'furrower' brought a handful of seeds, which included some wild strawberry seeds, so he set up a small farm and then set about gathering plants with the feaster.

the stoner dabbled in mechanics and thus made some mechanisms and set up some stone traps at the entrance after the excavator cleared it and made the tunnel in to the first room.   after that first room was made, the entrance to it was channeled and a bridge set up for later.   everything was moved in and a tunnel to the sand layer was set up so two underground plots and an above ground plot could be made.    the feller chopped all the trees in the area quickly and they were moved inside, except a few used to make a bridge over the channel used to make the one plot above ground, protecting the plot from invaders.

the stone traps delt with the sergals that attacked me after that, and the orcs were delt with by the repeating level attached to the bridge, dropping them 10 levels into a sealed area so i can collect the steel from them.

i finally am getting artifacts now, as the children are getting to a decent age.   i have some permanant soldiers that are guarding a side entrance which has doors guarding it, and can be closed off when orcs siege so they have to go across the bridge.

EDIT:

ok, ive got a small military of 4 champs..  1 hammer, 1 mace, 1 axe, and 1 wrestler (with pick).    they are stationed behind a door, with fortifications lining it, so the two xbowers can shoot though when an ambush tries to come through the door.   when orcs come i still use the bridge of death.

ive got another problem though...  if i get no caravans, and no traders at all...   and i have enough food, enough drink...    theres nothing for my guys to do but sit and chat...    there is HFS on this map and i cracked a vein to lure a 'king' to my site, but im not ready for any long-term HFSing yet...    i could do more mining, but i just finished dumping all my excess rocks into a quantum stockpile.    any ideas?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 11:59:28 pm by Drakis »