Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Item Parts vs. Materials?  (Read 726 times)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Item Parts vs. Materials?
« on: August 08, 2009, 05:28:14 pm »

I've heard tell of items finally having different parts, but I can't remember where.

Does this mean that we'll finally be able to have Explodium swords with Unexplodium handles, or what have you? Cases where the damaging part is a dangerous material, and the handling part isn't, i.e. heated materials or poisonous ones.

Just wondering, spotty memory and all.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Arkose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Item Parts vs. Materials?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 05:52:57 pm »

Creatures are going to work that way in the next big release. As far as item parts with different materials go: I believe that buckets already do something like this, in that one of the decorations that you can get is a handle made out of whatever you decorated the bucket with; I think I recall Toady mentioning that he wanted to eventually expand this to, say, special sword hilts and the like. I don't think that there are any mechanical effects of having a special bucket handle, though. (I'm pretty sure a magma-proof creature carrying a magma-proof material with a low melting temperature metal handle doesn't loose hold of its bucket when carrying it into magma, for example, because I think only the item's main material is considered for effects like melting and burning.)

I don't know if Toady plans to eventually have items with parts that break off like creature limbs, or partially melt or whatever.

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 05:55:54 pm »

That would make sense to how poisons would be ideally transferred. The tip of a metal blade may have a poisonous venom covering, but the handle not despite a dwarf having a potential open wound in a finger near the weapon.

I'd add a layer of complexity, but nothing that DF couldn't handle already. Not to mention the fun it'd bring.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 05:58:41 pm by Nexii Malthus »

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 06:10:49 pm »

This is an explodium bucket. It's decorated w... ohsh*BLAM*
I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 06:24:34 pm »

Technically speaking item components have actually been in the game for a very long time, it's just only implemented in one specific circumstance.  If you get an artifact bucket, take note of the description.  It should mention that it's handle is made of some specific material (whatever the bucket as a whole is made of).  It's probably some kind of a legacy code left over from a test Toady tried way back in the 2D era.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 09:13:45 pm »

It doesn't have to be an artifact. Simply decorating the bucket will do it.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.