Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hunting: Avoid dangerous creatures flag  (Read 1055 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Hunting: Avoid dangerous creatures flag
« on: May 11, 2008, 07:57:00 pm »

We all know that hunting is a very dangerous activity for dwarves, not the least because some animals (wolves, elephants, etc) are very dangerous to hunt. Throw them in an evil area, and hunting takes a lot of micromanagement to do without losing a lot of hunters. And I hate losing hunters early on in a fort where there aren't enough dwarves to go around as it is.

I'd like the option to tell my hunters to avoid dangerous creatures. Maybe have a list of creatures like in the kitchen that I can say Hunt or Don't Hunt.

Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hunting: Avoid dangerous creatures flag
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 10:27:00 pm »

There is a problem with this.  Even mountain goats are classified as dangerous animals.

However, if you set your military dwarves to pursue dangerous animals, they should keep your butchery somewhat well-stocked.

Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 08:33:00 am »

Yeah, it would be kind of hard, because I mean, I know my hunter can take on a single wolf, or even a cougar. But a PACK of wolves, or even an enraged deer, can put on the hurt to my poor guy.

I think it might be better to add some sort of "Flee if ______" tag. If the Hunter attacks a wolf, then realizes 3 more have flagged him to be attacked, then he should flee back to the fort, or until they stop chasing him.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 09:44:00 am »

There is that. Which is why I was thinking of the hunting screen, like the kitchen screen, where you can say specifically what the hunters should go after. By default, everything is on. But you could turn, say, wolves off and leave cougers on. Or turn off Elephants and Hippos, but leave monkeys on.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 02:47:00 pm »

A lot of the hunting problems fall under the fact that the AI is still rudimentary.  None of the sapient beings in the game retreat or give up -- fighting is to the death.  (En masse, ambushes will retreat after fighting, but individual fighters in the ambush will happily fight against overwhelming odds until the retreat is sounded.)
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 02:01:00 pm »

I've seen plenty of fleeing cowards.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 02:10:00 pm »

JT's right, we should see a lotta the 'idiot' deaths as I call em dry up once the AI gets a bit more advanced.  It's not just hunters that die stupid, but if you can get a pair of wardogs to actually keep up with the hunter, they'll give him a pretty good chance to survive wolves at least... not sure about elephants or hippos though
Demon of Darkness