Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: "Sneaking" PC games.  (Read 8529 times)

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
Re: "Sneaking" PC games.
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2009, 01:29:33 pm »

Ah. I didn't notice it because it was in the middle of your post. :-[

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2009, 12:54:48 am »

Assassins Creed because obviously u need stealth to kill without notice.
The Witcher also required some sneakin around

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2009, 01:05:56 am »

Commandos 2. It's an old isometric game where you control a squad of commandos (funny that) in WW2. It has everything from fighting off a wave of tanks, to sneaking into a german U-boat base at midnight for sabotage. Great fun.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2009, 01:19:05 am »

If you really try, you can stealth in crysis until the aliens, which is when I stopped playing the singleplayer. The stealth mode isn't even godly, it's pretty much useful for getting in places, but once your found - defense and speed mode to escape or strength to jump on roofs (pre-grenade launchers if  you have physics on) is much more effective. In fact, I played most of the entire game in stealth as rambo-ing could get you killed easily if you didn't scope things out or know how to strafe like a pro - although it made it pretty interesting when you do just run in and switch to powers as needed. Especially when you get to the mine shaft right before the aliens. However, I never felt godly for a powersuit game. You could take maybe 3 direct shots before you started to get hurt in defense mode.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2009, 03:37:10 am »

Assassins Creed because obviously u need stealth to kill without notice.
The Witcher also required some sneakin around

Please. Assassin's Creed has BARELY ANY stealth required. You can play the entire game without ever hiding. You can literally just fight your way everywhere.

I mean really, when I played it, I could take out what seemed to be 25 guards all around me. I blame their dumb AI and my apparently invulnerability and ability to run away really fast.

In fact, the only stealth in the game is hiding in hay or on benches. Blending in with monks and whatnot. But all that is meaningless since about 4/5 of the game you don't even need stealth.

Did I mention you're the HEAVILY ARMED guy in a REALLY SUSPICIOUS ROBE and news of your actions should have spread from city to city by the 2nd level of the game. (Even if you're as stealthy as possible, there's always the people who saw you kill someone and got suspicious.)
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2009, 03:06:26 pm »

Popping back in to say Hammer and Sickle is still awesome. Wow... I can't believe that this tread is actually 5 months old! It felt like I made my last post here just the other day!

It feels like i made this whole topic just a month ago at max, holy shiz.

Anyway, regarding Assassin's Creed, the game tried too hard to seem serious. It was waaaay too unrealistic, for the same reasons yanlin stated: AI is dumb and seems to forget about you after a few minutes of hiding, you could receive several direct hits from swords and practically nothing would happen, and in many parts you could just run past guards, kill the guy, then run away with little to no prejudice and obviously the fact that no one noticed a suspicious, slender, tall white-robed guy among a bunch of people with totally different clothes. The few things i liked about it was the climbing, which was brilliant, and the sandboxy feel.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2009, 12:53:03 pm »

I don't know if Prototype counts as sneaking, but it definitely has a big stealth component (it's more like a "wanted" status a la GTA), specially when you're using hit & run tactics to infiltrate a base. If you just go gung-ho, the commander will get killed and you'll be unable to enter, so you end up consuming any random soldier, morphing into him, trying to blow up as many viral detectors as you can until you can finally enter the complex and consume the commander.

Also because, although you have the durability of the Hulk, it can be really annoying that a lot of attacks will throw you down to the ground while you're trying to achieve something. And, of course, the death of a thousand cuts is very possible.

And other things like that.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2009, 07:42:36 am »

I mean really, when I played it, I could take out what seemed to be 25 guards all around me. I blame their dumb AI and my apparently invulnerability and ability to run away really fast.
That's what put me off big time. I watched the "making of" that game on TV. And there where this hip young overachieving lead designer people, that looked like they jumped straight out of a music video or something. Looked like they spend more time in the bathroom than actually designing games.

And when they were talking about how great their combat engine was, I couldnt help noticing that about 8 of the 10 guards that were attacking the demo player werent actually attacking the demo player. Was like watching a fight scene from a really cheap old movie. You know, where the baddies stand in line before attacking (10 dwarf bucks here say theres a tv trope article about that phenomenon).

Anyway. Watching most valve dev commentary makes me wanna play their games, even tho I have to suffer steam. Watching the assassins creed dev commentary made me wanna pray for brains. For devs AND consumers.

If I find that game for 5 bucks in a bargain bin, I still will probably buy it. Probably.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2009, 09:14:58 am »

I never liked prototypes stealth, aside from anything else it was often easiest to just sprint in grab the commander and run and dodge until out of sight then morph into him. Aside from that the enemies were really retarded. Nothing stupider than falling right next to a soldier while not in disguise causing the pavement to smash up from the fall and have him stare right at you and say into the radio "I'm sure he's around here somewhere."
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Mr Tk

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you like a mint? It's only waffer thin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2009, 09:24:12 am »

Commandos 2. It's an old isometric game where you control a squad of commandos (funny that) in WW2. It has everything from fighting off a wave of tanks, to sneaking into a german U-boat base at midnight for sabotage. Great fun.

They're awesome. Commandos 3 for some reason they decided to make really hard compared to the first 2.
First ten minutes of play I ate my loincloth and then got some limbs torn off by a super friendly rat. Thumbs up from me.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2009, 02:24:26 pm »

You know, where the baddies stand in line before attacking (10 dwarf bucks here say theres a tv trope article about that phenomenon).

Well, there went ten minutes or so of my time.  Danged site.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]