Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Limiting artifact weapon types  (Read 538 times)

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Limiting artifact weapon types
« on: August 08, 2009, 03:17:20 pm »

Is it possible to prevent an artifact weapon from being of a certain type? Such as disabling blow dart, or all the normal weapons and mod in some with damage types like burn/heat/cold for cooler artifact weapons.
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Limiting artifact weapon types
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 03:21:30 pm »

You wish. until moods are rawified, no such luck.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 03:26:52 pm »

I'm rather newbish at modding (only have modified other mods to ease or increase difficulty). But would I be able to duplicate all the currently usable weapons in the raws once for each different damage type, and then prevent them from being creatable by any race? (Like how blow darts can't be made by dwarves normally, but still show up in artifacts) Don't know if they'll go to wield them then though...

EDIT: Now that I think about it, weapons can't have two damage types can they? Would kind of be a mute point to create a spear that can ignite a target, but doesn't have a chance to pierce... Anyone know if multiple damage types has been suggested before?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 03:34:29 pm by Elvang »

Brdn666

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerlord
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 06:52:36 pm »

Hmm... I seem to remember some magic discussions around here somewhere..
*digs around in boxes*
hmm.. maybe http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=18564.msg183355;topicseen#msg183355
This contains a discussion about a mod that adds magic damage.. not sure if it includes both types of damage..
*digs deeper yet*
Ah-ha! This could help http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=18910.0
The only thing that's not afraid of a dragon is a marksdwarf.
Or maybe a mechanic, if given enough time to prepare.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 07:55:49 pm »

If you want to prevent blowgun moods, simply remove the blowgun entryfrom ITEM_WEAPON.txt in the raws. It won't break anything, as nobody actually uses blowguns any more.

I'm pretty sure it'll need a new world, though.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 12:43:07 am »

You could remove every weapon that dwarves can't use.

Some of those are scourges, morningstars, 2h anythings, whips, blowguns, and flails, off the top of my head.

Not much will be missed if you remove those anyway, those are just different versions of maces and stuff.

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 04:16:46 am »

I don't mind some of the unusable weapons (scourges and whips make great trap components [gore damage ftw]), in this case it'd be adding unmakeable but still wieldable weapons in enough quantity that artifacts would tend to have the cold/heat/burn effects. Only problem I see at the moment is that a weapon can only have one damage type (I could make an axe burn, but then you lose what makes an axe great, the potential to lop of limbs; same goes for spears and hammers). From the other threads linked before, the only really usable combo would be one of the special damage types on a crossbow ammo. You lose the pierce critical, but keep the range.

Sorry if I wasn't exactly clear in my first post; my intentions were to eventually make versions of the normal weapons that can't be made normally by any civ, but are moodable, wieldable, and have one of the special damage types. I figured a sword would always do slash damage, and I could just add on a chance for say... heat damage. Seems that this not the case though...
Unless putting two [DAMAGE] tags in would work... Really only want to add a chance to ignite the enemy, or cause frost damage in addition to normal behavior.

Huh... never knew blowdarts and bows make use of the SWORD skill instead of HAMMER like crossbows...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 05:20:46 am »

I don’t know about all this other damage type stuff but as to the first question I think a better solution than moding all the unusable weapons out of the game a better solution would be to make it so dwarfs can make all the weapons. (or at least the long range ones.)

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 07:55:44 am »

I don’t know about all this other damage type stuff but as to the first question I think a better solution than moding all the unusable weapons out of the game a better solution would be to make it so dwarfs can make all the weapons. (or at least the long range ones.)

You can't command dwarves to wield whips, blowguns, and some other stuff unless you make them a variant of the existing weapons.