Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Civ and World Gen Questions  (Read 637 times)

Johnny Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Civ and World Gen Questions
« on: August 07, 2009, 12:40:32 am »

I'm working on a mod with a couple new civs and megabeasts. The problem I'm having is this: During worldgen, I find that almost all of my megabeasts are being killed off really early on, and that my civs aren't going to war with each other very much. I have a feeling that these are connected (maybe they wouldn't be hunting beasts if they were too busy getting killed?), but I'm wondering how to make my megas last longer and how to more effectively get my civs to fight.

I've tried messing with their ethics, and I've pumped up my megabeasts to make sure they're pretty tough in combat. I've found that most of the duels between my civ members and my beasts ends with the beast losing, which could have something to do with it. Worldgen hits golden age by year 50, usually, which is way too soon.

Here are the raw entries for the creature and entity files:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ideas?

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Civ and World Gen Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 12:51:49 am »

For the megabeasts, multiply their size and damblock by ten before worldgen. Then restore it to normal afterwards. That will let them live through just about anything and have thousands of kills.

For war, you could remove [INTELLIGENT] and put [CAN_LEARN][CAN_SPEAK] and restore it afterwards.

You should also assign ethics that will make the three hate each other, not have 2 civs against one. Just make one with half unthinkable/apalling and the rest acceptable, the other with vice versa, and the last with all acceptable.

Johnny Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 01:38:13 am »

I can see how that would work, but the problems I'm having don't happen with the regular DF settings, and I don't want to have to mess with the raws every time I generate a world. I want a permanent solution.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 01:43:53 am »

For the megabeasts, the only real "permanent" solution is just to make more types of megabeasts so that more spawn. One other way is to make megabeasts have the [SEMIMEGABEAST] tag as well as the [MEGABEAST] tag, which will cause more of them to spawn at the beginning. The other option is to increase their strength, and then you could increases it by a lot and then decrease it for gameplay or just increase it a little and leave it. As for the civs the best way is probably the [CAN_CIV][CAN_LEARN] method for war. You could use ethics as well, but that is up to you. Other than those ways though, there really is no other ways.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Johnny Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 02:02:23 am »

I'm noticing, though, that most of my megabeasts are getting killed in one-on-one duels, even though they are significantly stronger than the original megabeasts. I guess adding some more couldn't hurt. Thanks for the advice, fellas. I'm going to mess with the ethics and add some more beasties and see if this doesn't clear up.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 03:01:32 am »

Also if you mod in more races with [BEAST_HUNTER], it will significally reduce the chance of other megabeasts to survive.
I usually remove these tags at all, I want megabeasts to stay alive for ME.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 07:38:37 am »

I'm noticing, though, that most of my megabeasts are getting killed in one-on-one duels, even though they are significantly stronger than the original megabeasts.

What's your mega-beast percentage set to in the World Generation parameters?

I once added an extra zero by accident and after going through Legends wondered if my ocean life went extinct, because it seemed like a lot of fishermen were challenging dragons just to feed their families.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Johnny Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 10:26:00 am »

I just added two semimegabeasts, and toughened up the megas a little more, and this seems to have reduced the amount of them getting slaughtered a bit. I am using standard world gen params, so I'm assuming it checks to make sure that 80 percent of them are dead.

I'll give taking out beast hunter another try, though that didn't seem to help much last time.

Thanks for the help. :]