Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Two ideas  (Read 850 times)

GeneralValter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Two ideas
« on: February 22, 2008, 05:35:00 pm »

The entire idea of dwarves cutting each other open while they spar seems kind of odd to me. I was thinking that wood could be used to build training dummies that the dwarves will fight against, instead of accidentally cutting each other in half. perhaps the exp you get from it would be reduced, and you could chose whether you want the dwarves to fight dummies or each other.

---------

Also, I've noticed a lot of whining from people about the new function that makes traps safe to caravans. Perhaps levers could be allowed to hook up to traps and switch between off and on? that way the evil people here can still be allowed to hack up caravans, but the nice/patient ones can allow them to get through unharmed.

quot;I guess all of the fairy tales were about people having their crap stolen." -Toady One

vanarbulax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Two ideas
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 06:04:00 pm »

Well I think fighting with a dummy will only give you experience to a point. I really don't think it should get you above novice sword/axe/whatever dwarf since all it really teaches you is the feel of your weapon and some different moves which you can't apply to a real fight. It think it should give an increasingly diminishing amount of experience but a good way to become stronger, faster.

Jayfrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 11:16:00 pm »

the dummy s a good idea and same with the xp for only a little while i think wooden or bamboo training/sparign weapons could be used like in medieval Japan.
My child got ripped to shreds by invading goblins, which caused my wife to go mad and was shot down by the town guard for attacking the brewer and they both rotted before my eyes....

But dayyumm my room looks nice

Mood: Fine

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 12:01:00 am »

« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 10:32:45 pm by penguinofhonor »

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 04:37:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by penguinofhonor:
<STRONG>

We have those, but only the elves make them. Dwarves use silver for the same effect.</STRONG>

Silver weapons were probably implemented to be ornamental/ceremonial weapons, not as practice equipment.

Kobolds carry copper crossbows.

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 04:44:00 am »

the thing about those silver and wooden training weapons: they still damage brain and spine!

a separate class of training weapons should be introduced, which only deal blunt damage. i mean, practice weapons have never been sharpened

een failing lately?

vanarbulax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 05:01:00 am »

While the weapons may not be sharpened, broken bones and even cracked skulls with a silver sword would probably be easy. Hammers aren't sharpened but can still crush someones head in. I think the difference here is that in training you wouldn't aim for the spine.

[ February 23, 2008: Message edited by: vanarbulax ]