Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mountain Mass Destruction  (Read 789 times)

ruiner333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mountain Mass Destruction
« on: August 07, 2009, 01:19:54 am »

I embarked in an area with mountains WAAAY taller than I expected them to be. I need to clip off the end of a mountain face to make room for asthetics. I figured collapsing it would be the easiest way to go and mined out the bottom 2 levels leaving only a 2 story support. Dropping the mountain this way still left something like 10 stories. I want to save scum and remove as little as possible cause it's taking forever. Is there an optimum number of floors to remove everything or math to figure out x floors of fall = x floors of destroyed rock?

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: Mountain Mass Destruction
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 01:29:52 am »

One solution is to whittle away the mountains by making ramps over the parts you want removed. And you'll get some stone/gem/minerals while at it.

Remember to start at the top and work downward.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 01:32:55 am »

Collapsing a mountain by undermining it will still preserve all undug material. If you want to destroy a mountain, you're going to have to dig it out. Itnetlolor's method above is my preferred method, as well.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

ruiner333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 01:37:56 am »

Bleh I could have sworn I've seen it pulverize stone layers when it throws dust. I wouldn't care about speed if the damn orcs didn't raid me 4 times a year (or at least it feels that way). My military always seems to go on break right when they show up and then I have dead legendary miners to train again.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 01:44:18 am »

Well, if it's temp-protection form Orcs that you need. You can make a pseudo-fort out of the mountain.

Remove the ramped edges of the mountain from the bottom floor. Make a ramp -1z under the mountain, then make a small stairway or ramp up to the 2nd floor of the mountain (from inside the mountain), remove the underground access point (ramp), and the orcs hopefully shouldn't bother you as you whittle away.

That is, unless they have archers; then yeah, you're screwed using that method. Unless you keep a wall between the exit and the Orc gather point.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 01:48:07 am by Itnetlolor »

ruiner333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 01:46:47 am »

Thanks for your replies btw.

taf_esra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 01:49:25 am »

all I can say is good luck. I've tried mining out z-levels before and by the end of it I had 79 legendary miners.

ruiner333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 01:56:45 am »

I have 18 floors LEFT to excavate. I embarked next to the sheer cliff of Mt Everest.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 02:04:50 am »

I have 18 floors LEFT to excavate. I embarked next to the sheer cliff of Mt Everest.
Tell me when we get to 10. ...I think I'm gonna throw up.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 08:52:54 am »

Tell me when we get to 10. ...I think I'm gonna throw up.
Yes. Just Yes.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.