Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d] Mom hurt, Child refuses to eat or drink  (Read 2083 times)

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[40d] Mom hurt, Child refuses to eat or drink
« on: July 21, 2009, 12:33:43 am »

I didn't see this listed as a bug in the official bug list and searching the bug reports forum didn't seem to turn up what I am experiencing.  This might be a feature, but I suspect it is an unintended consequence more than a feature.  I am a little uncertain about why it doesn't appear to have been reported because it seems like something most fortresses of some age would be likely to experience.

I have a save that reproduces the end result and the beginning of cause.  Two champion moms that received sparing related injuries and because of this they are recovering in their beds while cradling their infants.  This part works fine.

The problem occurs when the infants become children and mom is still recovering from wounds.  For some reason the children won't leave mom for anything, including eating and drinking.

I am using the Orc mod and have modified my dwarfs to only wear caps as clothing(they still wear armor mind you but are otherwise a colony of nudists).
Linky
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 01:00:47 am by PencilinHand »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: [40d] Mom hurt, Child refuses to eat or drink
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 07:49:43 am »

You know, I think this is what happened in my fort quite a while ago - one of my champions was resting from a sparring injury, then for no apparent reason I got a notification that a child had died of thirst.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 01:35:40 am »

Can I get someone else to either confirm this or call me a raging maniac?

smokingwreckage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 01:55:41 am »

I've lost about a dozen children of Champions. Some die in battle and others die of thirst. I had assumed the squad was too f***ing stupid to give the kid a sip from their canteens.

Either way, I'd really like to have my military dwarves not give birth. The corpses of small dwarf children litter the ground outside my fortress and being an old softie with kids of my own, it makes me sad :(

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 02:49:37 am »

Wow, a non-sexist reason to draft only male dwarf! :P Too bad, dwarf ladies are the dwarfiest dwarves around.

But yeah, the whole "follow parent into battle" or "I will use my child as a meatshield" mechanic seems to cause some pretty bad tantrum spirals.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

smokingwreckage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 07:47:37 am »

My champions seem to take it in stride, which is even more disturbing. Like "Ah bugger, me damn kids have gone and died again! Ho well then, time to get pregnant and carry to term in full plate mail while on long patrol, AGAIN."

So the full plate mail, it is impervious to arrows but highly pervious to dwarfish mating rituals.

While I have total respect for any woman hardcore enough to give birth in the woods in full armour without dropping her shield, all the dying of dwarf children is making me cry.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 08:27:58 am »

Personally I think being able to give birth while asleep - and not wake up is completely intense.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 09:31:29 am »

Personally I think being able to give birth while asleep - and not wake up is completely intense.

These lie Dwarves.