Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question for Toady (and everyone): How do you feel about mods?  (Read 1895 times)

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile

In particular I'd like to know which are people's favorites. If Toady has any favorites he's seen that are clever I'd love to know that, too. I imagine the next update will allow some pretty crazy modding compared to previous versions.

What sort of mods do people have in mind for the new version? Just updating their old ones or entirely new stuff? (hello lung tissue dragon that breathes dwarven beards!).

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question for Toady (and everyone): How do you feel about mods?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 01:05:02 am »

it really depends on the mods themselfs i suppose. i myself dont use them, but i dont hate on the people that do. some mods at some serious awsome to the game, while some are good for just quick laughs.

white_wolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 01:09:20 am »

i used the dig deeper mod for a bit, bout 1 dwarf game year..... then came orcs.

i gave up almost all positive intrest in mods at that point
im HUNGREH!!!!!!!!!

Xehon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 01:48:11 am »

I usually make my own mods with some bits and pieces from other mods, that I find creative, fun, interesting etc. This is true for most games I play. Most mods that are made by others just don't feel right with me. I need my mods to be logical and practical, but I don't want cheap hacks like size 20 goblins or stuff. In fact I've just been thinking of updating my raws a bit. Add content, look up new stuff from other mods, etc. Maybe I should release my stuff when I'm done, if its any good of course.

I usually use mods to add content and diversity. New critters, civilizations, items, plants, etc. The stock DF raws are too homogeneous for my tastes. Different biomes have too many plants and critters in common and there are too few unique elements in rare environments. Adding a lizardmen civilization exclusive to wetlands, restricting most trees from growing in marshes, creating a unique rare plant for cold deserts, etc. It all adds to the game. The thing I think I'm most proud of is a small cluster rare mineral that is found everywhere and acts as a mini aquifer. Its like a new map feature, similar to cave rivers, that allow you to play with water in places you otherwise couldn't. I've been playing with it for quite a few versions and its quite interesting and fun.

Gauphastus

• Bay Watcher
  • y hello der
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 02:01:38 am »

I've always been iffy on mods for any game. I feel like it cheapens the experience if I can just go into the game files and do whatever I want (even if I have no idea what I'm doing); it's the same sort of feeling when using someone else's mods.
For some reason, I feel way more comfortable thinking the creator has set up a simple and balanced experience for me.

I just really like me some vanilla I guess.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 02:26:56 am »

I use mods to fill holes the game hasn't filled yet. I butcher clothes from the goblins to compensate for hauling problems. I use orcs to increase the challenge against champions. I use Dwarf Manager to handle job assignments. Nothing major. I don't even like using tilesets.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 02:28:14 am »

I am not sure Toady will answer.

This may be one of those questions where no matter how he answers he is going to make someone mad/sad/egosized

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 04:10:51 am »

I'm sure Toady hates mods, hence why there is an entire board on his forums dedicated to them..:P

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 04:12:10 am »

And that he's designing the game so it can be easily modded.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 04:22:48 am »

I tend to personally get annoyed by mods that do the following:

• Turn the game less original. Modeling stuff after other fantasy works, or trying to put the creatures (or other things) in an even more typical fantasy light. I will probably never mod orcs into my game, for instance.
  • Completely screw over the geology, industry, etc. of the game. I really like how the game tries to quasi-accurately model things like stone types and metallurgy, so I'd rather not have reactions in my game that take iron and bones and smelt them into BLOODSTEEL or whatever. On top of being sort of silly, stuff like this tends to ruin the flavor of the game for me.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Saeldanya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 04:51:15 am »

i used the dig deeper mod for a bit, bout 1 dwarf game year..... then came orcs.

Whats wrong with the orcs? I enjoyed them, and the Dig Deeper mod, until I encountered a bug with my marksdwarves getting stuck in their towers and not moving even after taken off duty. The same thing happened to some of the orcs underneath, they 'froze' in place. Its probably unrelated to the mod, though.

Dig Deeper does warn you before download that it's really hard  ;)

I have personally downloaded about 5 different mods... the main reason being that I abandoned 2 vanilla fortresses because for some reason I never encountered any real challenge. Only 1 megabeast ever, and sieges for some reason were never bigger than 2 squads of max 8 enemies each. Even after 6 fortress years and a wealth of over 5 million. My fully adamantite plated heroes got bored! One game had no sieges at all (and no humans or elves)

Same thing with the Civilization Forge mod, wonderfully done but for some reason both started games seemed super easy. No megabeasts no large sieges.

Again, this  was probably just randomness, but I re-discovered the DF fun with the challenge Dig Deeper provides. I also intend to try Dark Dwarves and Legendary lands... anything labelled really difficult.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2009, 10:47:21 am »

I also do all my own modding, usually trying to make the game a bit closer to a AD&D world I put together back when I was in middle school.  Which means it does add alot of unorigonal stuff like sticking wings on dragons, dragonmen(which I thought were awfully original back then) adding some creatures from videogames I was into(behemoths, chocobo, grass assasins, ect). 

But it also had some odd little original things.  Like evil little slimes that come in hordes with giant anime eyes that CUTE YOU TO DEATH.  Currently they're not as dangerous as they should be, but I have hope for the future.  Perhaps an aura breath attack that paralyzes from the cuteness.

I try to balance everything the best I can myself, if something ends up being too strong while I'm playing I won't hesitate to overkill it some critical weakness.  After discovering the dracon fire immunity is fairly strong in adventure mode, I added a colddamage point that makes it dangerous to adventure anyplace that isn't tropical.  All it takes is being in a temperate area at night in fall winter or spring to make the adventurer's life come to a slow chilly end.

As for released mods, I did try a few of them before, but I could never really get into them for some reason.  Guess it might lose some of the awesome when you know exactly how all the cool stuff was done.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2009, 03:50:57 pm »

I use mods that make the game harder. Without it, its way to easy.

Increased growing season, removal of all underground plantables, super hard enemies are a basic must.

Kobold Camp is super fun, too.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 05:23:10 am »

i like modding too, and wach many other mods to see how they done things, but i dont take them generaly as they are becouse there are many things i don't feel rigth in them (like the said bloodsteals, and other too powerfull items/materials/illogicaly strong creatures) now i am working on a antman mod, where the world of DF is seen from antman's eyes, i don't put new races in (maybe some will needed tougth) but plan to civilize up to 18 alredy in game race, to have many hostiles to my ants (cause no one speaks to ants ;)... and removed from ants some jobs, or reactions (like they don't know how to use iron ores, and i think they won't have some mechanic related jobs open neither), they are also small and agressive (quite hard to fortress with them when they always try to turn down does twice-their-size horses even if they are civilians, in my latest test scores: starting group 0-2 local horses )
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime