Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Getting worked up over nothing  (Read 788 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Getting worked up over nothing
« on: August 06, 2009, 02:04:53 am »

My new job is exceptionally boring (I essentially just shift paper around) and I wanted to get a good MP3 / video player to help ease the time between clocking in and clocking out. After a bit of browsing, I bought a Creative Zen 2GB which was on sale for about $70 Canadian. It looks great, has a nice feel, and I think overall I got a good deal. The main reason I chose this was because it has SD card functionality, so I could plunk in a 8GB SD card to make up for the mediocre 2GB internal storage. The screen is beautiful, even though it's only 2.5 inches and it plays videos very well. I can watch House MD on it just fine.

Then when I brought it home, I realized that the SD card functionality was quite gimped. It worked, that's for sure. Whatever you plunk on your SD card can play in the player, but it doesn't have the same amount of features. It doesn't look *as* pretty (though it still looks pretty), doesn't allow you to listen while browsing pictures and whatnot... really, all it lets you do when you use the SD card is basic music and video functions. And even then, you can only listen to music inside one folder, so if your music is seperated into multiple folders, it won't know how to play all of them.

I spent hours trying to find a solution to combine the SD card memory into the main players memory, combing the internet and tearing my hair out. Just as I was about to consider trading in the system for something with more internal memory, an epiphany came to me (which probably came to you guys as you were reading this)... "Why do I need to care about such a thing?"

On my home computer, all I do is dunk all my songs onto one playlist and let Winamp play on shuffle. I could essentially just place all my songs into one folder in the SD card for the same effect. I don't have fancy album art on each song, nor do I care. I'm not going to be doing ANYTHING with my player other than listen to music or play video... and I don't want my music to be playing while watching House MD. Sure, it won't be as neat and tidy as I would like, but it works plenty fine and that's what I bought it for in the first place. I could even just fill the internal 2GB with video and stock all my music in one folder in the SD card, that way nothing goes to waste.

Any experiences like this? I feel kinda silly wasting a few hours trying to find a solution to a fictional problem but it was quite enlightening.

smokingwreckage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Getting worked up over nothing
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 02:59:39 am »

This kind of thing happens to me every day. What's worse is spending half a day working on inventing a perfectly obvious and intuitive solution to a drastically simple problem.

Like, 2 hours and an epiphany to come up with "And then I'll just save the game to this USB stick!!!!"

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 08:55:21 am »

It doesn't happen to me too often, i usually try to find then simplest way to do things, and fail quite often.

Thats sorta the same problem i have with my phone, it plays music but thats all it can do, it has those folder problems like yours, so i spent a few hours when i first got it trying to figure out why the hell it wasn't letting me browses the music. Then i gave up, and just hit play all.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 09:20:35 am »

Oh.  Lightning hit the tree in my backyard, probably nothing.  Let me keep a piece of the charred wood.  Wait...the activity light on my modem isn't lit up....NO INTERNETS ARRRRRRRR.

Then the internet service guy came and gave me a new modem that works great.  Better than before!

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 09:37:25 am »

I have a Cowon D2, which is awesome (16 gigs of flash memory with SD slot, so that means potential for up to 48 gigs of flash memory) but apparently the SD card contents are separate from the native contents of the player like you said. I haven't actually used one yet but that seems like a pain.

Still, next time you want an MP3 player go for a Cowon. It's the shit in Korea (I worked at an English language program this summer and some Korean guys told me so) and since Asia is 10 years ahead of the West, you know whatever they're using is probably the best. You'd have to get it online, but I got mine for $150 American which is an awesome price for the product. Probably even cheaper by now.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus