Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 30 seconds of fun  (Read 1084 times)

Chewykittens

• Bay Watcher
  • Never befor has the letter "c" been so appetizing
    • View Profile
30 seconds of fun
« on: August 04, 2009, 12:31:40 am »

20 minutes ago I started a new fortress, I found DF about 2 weeks ago so I'm fairly new.  It took me about 15 minutes to set everything up right for the embark because I was following a build from a guide and had to use reference. The area had a river, tons of lakes and a surfaced magma pipe right next to a beautiful dig site.

Right after letting the game play from designating a dig and some stock piles I find that one of my dogs was killed by a carp in the river 3 tiles away from my starting point.  30 seconds later my only miner (who was moving food because I forgot to change pref) was attacked and killed by an alligator who was moving in for my wood cutter.

I wished I played everything through, but this has got to be the quickest game I've ever seen.

Telcontar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 30 seconds of fun
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 12:35:45 am »

Ouch.

Welcome to Dwarf Fortress!

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 12:36:12 am »

Yeah, it happens. I once embarked on a 2x3 site in an Evil biome and all 7 of my dwarves my wardogs and livestock were prompty slaughtered by Ogres before I could even could even raise a wall to defend my fortress.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 12:37:28 am »

I wished I played everything through, but this has got to be the quickest game I've ever seen.

I disagree.

River creatures, hippos, alligators, crocodiles, cave crocodiles, are pretty nasty like that. If you hadn't abandoned, that alligator would've killed the rest of your dwarves. Then it would've been one minute of fun.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 12:38:20 am »

20 minutes ago I started a new fortress, I found DF about 2 weeks ago so I'm fairly new.  It took me about 15 minutes to set everything up right for the embark because I was following a build from a guide and had to use reference. The area had a river, tons of lakes and a surfaced magma pipe right next to a beautiful dig site.

Right after letting the game play from designating a dig and some stock piles I find that one of my dogs was killed by a carp in the river 3 tiles away from my starting point.  30 seconds later my only miner (who was moving food because I forgot to change pref) was attacked and killed by an alligator who was moving in for my wood cutter.

Set up a hermit-able fort as quick as you can and sacrifice everyone else to the watery devils. Lock yourself in. Now you have a fort where everyone who comes near dies.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Chewykittens

• Bay Watcher
  • Never befor has the letter "c" been so appetizing
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 12:44:25 am »

I'm not really interested in playing as a hermit at this point in my DF life.

Also that magma  glitch made me laugh.

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 01:32:14 am »

In my world history, the founder of my civilization met his end after beating the crap out of an elf. The elf killed him, then ate him, then got ganked twenty seconds later by one of the founder's sons.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

DeathOfRats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 04:38:21 am »

Reminds me of a test fortress I made a couple days ago to figure out how pumps worked (currently working on a megaproject that needs a *lot* of pumps, so I wanted to make sure I knew how to use them).

I embarked next to a river, and made all the necessary pipes, blocks, screws, mechanisms and whatnot. Then I set the carpenter to build a water wheel, the mechanic to build the axles, gears, etc., and the mason to build the pump. Right next to the river. Two minutes later, I was less three dwarves, and the river was red with blood  ;D

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 10:28:19 am »

I got you all beat.  I embarked next to a chasam.  Lost my woodcutter who was drafted straight off the bat killing the pack of Troglodytes that were next to my wagon. (He killed the trogs before succumbing to his wounds.)  Then one of my wardogs spots a GCS.  The GCS then kills the remaining 6 of my dwarves and most of the wardogs.  Total time played:  maybe a minute.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 10:41:00 am »

Nothing compared to the nano fortress embark straight onto a main river filled with Hippo's and marauding elephants straight off the bat with a mere one tile ledge to maneuver. It took longer for all dwarven bits to rain down into the river then it was for them to get slaughtered in the first place.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.