Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Scientific Method  (Read 2130 times)

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Dwarven Scientific Method
« on: October 20, 2009, 11:41:56 am »

I'm compiling a list of rules for dwarven science (not like scientific laws), since this game seems almost unique in how it actually HAS a process of discovery too it :P

Anyway, feel free to throw in suggestions and things ^_^

Dwarven Scientific Method
1)Notice something Really Cool
2)Check priority list, is it lower than some other pending experiment? If so go do that one first.
3)Form a Hypothesis
4)Test Hypothesis. If it kills goblins or elves in the process, so much the better
5)Go back to step one and try again.

Priority list
Alpha Priority: New use for Magma and/or Fire that involves Killing Goblins or Elves
Beta Priority: New use for Magma and/or Fire
Gamma Priority: New way of killing Goblins or Elves that involves no traps or weapons
Delta Priority: New way of killing Goblins or Elves
Epsilon Priority: New way of killing anything else, including dwarves
Zeta Priority: New method of improving efficiency of fortress/something hilarious.
Eta Priority: Everything Else
Omega Priority/Forbidden: Anything that saves the lives of elves/protects trees that aren't going to be cut down. All research of this priority must be done with the goal of preventing it from being utilized or happening accidently. Dwarves caught implementing Forbidden level research without such goals in mind will have their beards shaven off.

Conventions of Dwarven Scientific Method
1) Person discovering really cool thing must test it if they are able.
2) Person discovering really cool thing must report it immediately to the community
3) If Person discovering really cool thing is unable to test new really cool thing, then they must explain this and request that others do so for them.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Scientific Method
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 11:46:40 am »

Well, I forsee alot of new really cool things happening with the new version :)

Nice writeup though :)

DjZielony

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 01:42:53 pm »

Hm, what happends if I research a new way to smelt metals to swords for killing goblins with magma to preserve wood? OH SHIIIIII~~~~

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 01:55:20 pm »

It says trees that AREN'T going to be cut down. Trying to save logs for things other than smelting is perfectly reasonable, especially if you're in a desert.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 02:12:51 pm »

Hm, what happends if I research a new way to smelt metals to swords for killing goblins with magma to preserve wood? OH SHIIIIII~~~~

You with the Urist-bel Prize, obviously. But only if you use it to preserve trees that will be cut down while under siege.

Angellus

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 02:17:04 pm »

Cool, but the more I play this game the more I feel like an elf XD

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 02:20:35 pm »

I like it, but I think that there is too much emphasis on applied research.  I mean, we all know that killing things and flooding with magma is a worthwhile goal, but pure research into the weird little glitches and physics analomys of the game is worthwhile too.  As are things like fluid computing.  And  who knows if someday they won't provide even greater rewards.  I mean, you never know when, say, tinkering with the properties of pitchblende will provide you with amazing practical benefits.

Arkose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 09:56:49 pm »

Conventions of Dwarven Scientific Method
1) Person discovering really cool thing must test it if they are able.
2) Person discovering really cool thing must report it immediately to the community
3) If Person discovering really cool thing is unable to test new really cool thing, then they must explain this and request that others do so for them.

Lets make this a bit more Dwarfy:

1) Dwarf discovering really cool thing must test it if they are able.
2) Dwarf discovering really cool thing must demand a workspace, withdraw from normal society, make all kinds of strange demands and only leave cryptic hints as to their intentions.
3) If Dwarf discovering really cool thing is unable to test new really cool thing, they must go insane, enter an inconsolable berzerker rage and/or leap into the nearest magma, chasm or (preferably) magma-filled chasm.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 05:44:10 am »

I like it, but I think that there is too much emphasis on applied research.  I mean, we all know that killing things and flooding with magma is a worthwhile goal, but pure research into the weird little glitches and physics analomys of the game is worthwhile too.  As are things like fluid computing.  And  who knows if someday they won't provide even greater rewards.  I mean, you never know when, say, tinkering with the properties of pitchblende will provide you with amazing practical benefits.

Well obviously. I made this based not upon what I thought was important, but what appears to be the standard practice =P I'm just codifying it.

Example, I'm trying to make a Dwarven "down elevator" system that takes advantage of the falling mechanic where they'll hit one bridge, water pours at the same time, hitting a pressure pad, then it reaches 2/7 it triggers and drops both the water AND the dwarves down to the next leverl, mostly unharmed. Think of the possibilities if it can safely deliver dwarves and/or supplies!!?!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 05:47:41 am by shadowclasper »