Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What do you do in your first year?  (Read 1617 times)

Ranzear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What do you do in your first year?
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2009, 12:15:31 pm »

One of my quickest methods for setting up, particularly because it never drops the wagon next to where I want to dig, is to make an 'everything' stockpile. Once I've dug in a bit, everything is just outside and I disable them from the everything pile once an interior stockpile is set. Its a good way to make sure you have a stockpile for everything eventually, because of how often I've seen a metalsmith run to the bottom of my fort for copper nuggets because there was never a stockpile set for metals or my butcher's shop goes *Cluttered* because I never made a refuse pile for the bones.

From there its a 20x3 hall of death into the barracks and dual stairwells.

Or for flat ground a 3x3 ramped hole in the ground with doors inset to north and south, and then walls and a moat around that with levered retracting bridges. Can usually go self-contained that way with a brook close enough (water tunneled down to 1z below a cistern and then pumped back up to eliminate pressure and control level).

So yeah, my first year is generally all about planning. I usually don't have beds made for another year after unless I'm in the middle of the forest.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
Re: What do you do in your first year?
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2009, 01:49:30 pm »

I'm on Orc mod(without trapavoid on the orcs) so I plan for conflict. I also have civ-forge and I start with a breeding pair of giant beetles. Embark zone- a foresty area
First I make a large storehouse at the base of a massive tower(without walls). Dig A large mining shaft through all the z-levels and carve out a little square in a soil level for farming and for a dining room. I build my plump helmet farm after that. At that point I start expliotory mining and use the stone to build my tower with some space for workshops. I build I kennel on one of the sides and chop down all the trees in the vicinity of my storehouse. I build a carpenter's workshop, mason's workshop, still, and a trade Depot. I use my carpenter's workshop to build 2 doors for my front doors. Then I build around 30 barrels and around 30 bins+8 chairs and 2 tables for my dining room. I gave my brewer a herbilist skill so I made him gather plants in his spare time, and then open a above ground farm. all of this is in the planning stage still, and then I give the kennels a train 2 hunting animals order. I unpause and execute the commands, after the base of the tower is done I build the upper floor and start building some fortifications. I might've forgot somethings, but I keep my dwarves working overall. Then the traders arrive, but I didn't make any crafts. The lioson tells me what he wants for trade, I set up a craftsdwarves shop, and the rest depends on my situation.

As you can see I build more of a tower, then I evolve it into a castle, then I evolve it into an unstoppible fortress! If I'm somewhat  luck with orcs(getting them after I have time to train some marksdwarves and finish my fortifications and get some weapon traps running). I don't hide from them, I prepare for them. I only modded out their trap avoid because it wasn't fitting for a bloodthirsty barbarian who probably wasn't all too bright. If they catch me offgaurd,
1:have my few marskdwarves pick off as many as they can
2:draft my entire fortress
3:massive slaughter of dwarves and orcs alike
4:abandon
5:reclaim
6:Kill all hostle animals and make the millitary men laborors
7:???
8:profit!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 01:57:58 pm by Megaman »
Hello Hunam
Pages: 1 [2]