Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cutthorat Capitalism (An Economic Analysis of the Somali Pirate Business Model)  (Read 1655 times)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

http://www.wired.com/special_multimedia/2009/cutthroatCapitalismTheGame

I know all of you sympathizes with the plight of Somaili fishermen who are angry at illegal fishing and illegal dumping. I know each of you secretly want to join up with a Somaili Coast Guard so as to defend Somaili waters, by kidnapping illegal fishermen and demanding damages. Here's your chance.

Hostage negogations are best part of this game!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 08:15:25 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

... I don't recall reading any news articles about the real-life pirates capturing illegal fishermen. As far as I've read they capture ships which actually have *valuable* cargo.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

I don't sympathize with Somali pirates.
Shoes...

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ShadowLord: The pirates however claim that they are doing these actions as a result of illegal fishing. People are illegally fishing and dumping in their waters, taking advantage of the anarchy in Somailia. That's why they became pirates. They claim to be "coast guards" defending the waters from people who are illegally fishing. So I presume they take illegal fishermen hostage.

Here's a news article discussing illegal fishing and dumping in Somaila.

Basically, I was making a joke.

EDIT:
Ould Abdallah cited the case of a Spanish trawler captured by pirates while illegally fishing for tuna off Somalia in April.

He said payment of a ransom for the release of the crew "was done in a very sophisticated manner" with the pirates arranging by phone "to be paid in Macau."

There you go ShadowLord. Proof that pirates do in fact capture illegal fishermen.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 09:07:14 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Croquantes

• Bay Watcher
  • Essence of Chicken
    • View Profile

Yeah, I heard about how foreigners actually stirred the Somalis into this rampaging swarm of hornets. The Somalis organised themselves into pirates, as a response to foreigners taking advantage of them.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile

Yeah, I heard about how foreigners actually stirred the Somalis into this rampaging swarm of hornets. The Somalis organised themselves into pirates, as a response to foreigners taking advantage of them.

Why don't the Somalis take them to international court? Oh yeah, anarchic hell Hole. Maybe we should give their neighbor nations the go ahead to annex them.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense

Interesting...

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why don't the Somalis take them to international court? Oh yeah, anarchic hell Hole. Maybe we should give their neighbor nations the go ahead to annex them.

Who? Etiopia?
If Etiophia really annexed Somalia, we would see a VERY ANGRY Middle East and the rest of the Enlightened Al-Qur'an reading citizens.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not to mention that Ethopia already occupied Somaila once.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile

So does this game have an end-state?  Or any consequences?

For that matter, has anyone managed to scare up more than $5M before your crew mutinies?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I got the negogiator to offer 6 Million dollars, and I quickly accepted it.

How do you get your own crew to munity? Right now, the only bad events I found were:
---Hostage ships caught on fire.
---The Coalition attacked my Pirate ship.
---Hostages attacked my Pirates.

I also haven't declared bankrupcy yet.

I don't thing there is really an end-game or consequence though.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The story as I've heard it is that they first organized because of the fishing rights (There's no government, so there's no official navy, so they formed one themselves) but found hijacking ships to be too profitable to pass up.

I'd recomend the Invisible Hook by... Paul Leeson I think?  Also, the Volokh Conspiracy has a series of guest posts by him about the Somali pirates and the economics of it.