Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Firecycle map?  (Read 706 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Firecycle map?
« on: August 02, 2009, 07:49:30 pm »

Would it be possible to make a map that when you arrive is habitable, but you have to dig a refuge as fast as possible, because at some season the temperature will rise to the point of causing spontaneous combustion of booze, dwarves and animals?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
Re: Firecycle map?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 07:50:18 pm »

There are some deserts that are scorching that do that.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 05:45:01 am »

Anyone have a seed for that? I'd play it, but I haven't managed to gen something like that.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 05:57:38 am »

Your best bet would probably be an area that's JUST on the border of being habitable, so that it's fine in winter/spring/fall but deadly during summer. Good luck.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

CarsonCity314

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 11:29:29 am »

Get a flat grasslands map with a magma pipe.  Every so often, some critter will get too close and inspire firey retaliation.  When this happens, you get a wave of fire burning everything, which is totally awesome.  Note:  You can create this effect later on by capturing imps, placing them on ground-level pedestals surrounded by grass and blast walls, and occasionally lowering stationing sacrifices near them while lowering the walls.  Contrary to popular wisdom, I have found that imps are willing to shoot fireballs at something they can't path to, but don't do it frequently.  (Something I was very sad to learn when I made them pet-trainable and stationed them on said islands over a magma-moat)

Good luck with your firey deaths!

IHateOutside

• Bay Watcher
  • Fire safety is for wimps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 01:00:02 pm »

you can change min/max temperature in world gen. normally its 25/75. just changed it to 999/1000 which is the max it can go. reporting back when its genned.

EDIT:well the whole is warm and above. embarked in a scorching area and waiting for summer. lots of pools to boil as well.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 01:55:50 pm by IHateOutside »

IHateOutside

• Bay Watcher
  • Fire safety is for wimps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 03:03:46 pm »

I changed site and the effects of the temperature were apparent. THE WORLD WAS ON FIRE! even the river dissapeared in seconds. Nothing survived.