Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Graphic tilesets and custom mods.  (Read 637 times)

MorganLoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Graphic tilesets and custom mods.
« on: July 14, 2009, 04:46:48 am »

After playing in ascii mode for a while I decided to check out some of the custom graphic sets. In particular Mike Maydays set looks amazing. But when I looked in the archive I found a bunch of extra files, installing this graphic set would overwrite all of the files in my \raw\objects folder.

I have made numerous changes to the default game. Installing this tile set would overwrite my game files with his, either reverting me back to vanilla or more likely borking my game completely. I realize that this is done to add new graphic characters, but the solution seems a little extreme. Does anyone have a good, nondestructive graphics set they use for modded games?

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Graphic tilesets and custom mods.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 08:59:46 am »

WELL...

The only thing any fancy tile set is going to do (Mike Mayday's is the prime example) is:

Remove the letters with diacritics from the language files (no graves, acutes, circumflexes etc.)

Change the tiles of some minerals etc.

Change plants, trees, and small animals to new tiles.

Depending on what you've modded into your raws, you may be able to get away with copying only some things into your raw folder, like creatures_insects or ''_small_mammals.  Most of the creature tiles in the fancy tilsesets are for the small-fry, things you probably didn't mod.  The plants and trees are easy to fix by hand, as there aren't many and you can just use the find function in your text editor of choice.

Any graphics set is going to override the tileset assignments, whatever they are, in your raw folder.  For instance, you could only add the MaydayGreen graphic pack's graphics folder, and have no effect on your raw folder but still get pretty sprites for your hippos and dire zombie carp.
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too

MorganLoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Graphic tilesets and custom mods.
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 11:12:12 pm »

I dropped off the internet right after I posted that, but let me mention that the Dwarf-letter tileset does exactly what I wanted, I made a few tweaks and now my game looks much better. Thank you. (check his sig ^)