Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Twofold: More realism and Less Drowning  (Read 5743 times)

Ranzear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Twofold: More realism and Less Drowning
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2009, 02:08:51 pm »

Did I miss the memo where dwarves are now aquatic creatures?

Water in a cave or mine is always a bad, terrible, foreboding, bad thing. Dwarves are subterrainean creatures and thus should be deathly scared of water in most cases, besides those that fish or draw water obviously.

Dwarves are also very dense creatures, canonically. 3-4 feet tall and still 300 pounds, not to mention the rugged standard by which they make anything they wear. 'Floating' is not in their lexicon.

I still think wet natural stone of certain types (almost anything but granite or obsidian) adjacent to pressurized water (2z+ deep) should seep. Not like aquifer or fortifications, but enough to half-flood a 3x3 room in a season would make enough of a problem.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2009, 02:17:28 pm »

Well I think you make some good points 2-7 water isn't really pressurized, at least not above standard atmospheric pressure. If it was all of the oceans and lakes would 'shoot' water up.

Also regardless of a dwarves ability to swim some of the mechanics should be in place for the other races.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2009, 04:29:43 pm »

Dwarves already climb out if they know how to swim. Not being able to get out of a river if you can't swim seems par the course

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2009, 01:27:44 pm »

IMO, You should be able to tell them to learn how to swim so that they do pull themselves out. While it may seem realistic hat dwarves hate bodies of water, is it really logical that the only way to make them learn to swim is via bizarre exploits, and then they're fine?

Besides, they're stupid enough to do a lot of things worse than get in the water. Myself, I'd like a champion that can swim so I can deal with those damn carp...
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: 1 2 [3]