Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dear Toady. All I want for Christmas is... (DF requests)  (Read 1537 times)

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dear Toady. All I want for Christmas is... (DF requests)
« on: July 29, 2009, 04:12:26 pm »

Ability to place engravings.  I'd like to be able to make an engraved block out of an ordinary block, and have it be used for anything an ordinary block could be used for.  If it's used for certain things, floors and walls at minimum, it should look like an engraving.  The reason I want this is because any large room is going to be speckled with odd colors and I want to be able to design things to more nearly satisfy my sense of beauty.

More flexibility over colors and tiles.  The 16-color limit's kickin' my ass, and I don't mean that in a good way.  The 256-tile limit's doing the same.  "Overloading" single tiles, such as obliging the capital O character to serve as everything from the letter, a pillar, an engraved pillar, the end of a wall (in certain configurations), the end of an engraved wall (ditto), parts of the Depot, and Armok help me glass portals as well is gonna put me in a padded room with a nice hot lever one of these days!

Ability to paint both primary and highlight color in any tile.  This involves two steps:
1) Allowing all objects to show both primary and secondary colors (at present, most furniture doesn't allow the the display of the secondary color).
2) Using tileset information to show both colors.  There are really easy ways to make this possible.  One way is to set up a rule that, in the tileset files in the data\art directory (but not the artwork image files in the raw\graphics directory), any pixel with Red gets tinted with the primary color and any pixel with Blue gets tinted with the secondary color (we avoid green unless necessary for a third color because of red-green color-blindness).  If you have a tile pixel that's RGB (255,0,0) and the primary color is (127, 127, 127) (medium grey), than that pixel will be drawn as (127, 127, 127).  If you have a tile pixel that's RGB (160,0,160), the primary color is (127, 127, 127) (medium grey), and the secondary color is (0, 0, 255) (light blue), than that pixel will be drawn as (80, 80, 120), a bluish-grey hue suitable for slate.

It will be dirt simple to adjust the existing tilesets.  Just change all white to red and all magenta to either blue (if you want a highlight color), or black (if you don't).

Equation:  X-value on screen =
(((primary color X-value) * (tile pixel red-value) / (255)) +
((secondary color X-value) * (tile pixel blue-value) / (255)))
/ 2

Rebalanced and more editable material requirements for metal objects.  Metal is a scarce, mostly non-renewable resource; unbalances here get in my way in ways that unbalanced cloth requirements don't.  It should not be the case that 3 bars get you 1 anvil (base value 100), 9 goblets (base value 90), 6 boots (base value 60), 3 buckets (base value 30), or 1 throne (base value 10).  A given amount of metal, and a given amount of labor, should yield at least roughly the same value.  I'd like to see goblets have a base value of 6 (primarily a trade item), flasks 9 (trade item, now equal in value to goblets), boots 5 (not primarily a trade item), anvils 100, buckets 10, and most furniture other than statues to require only one bar and be worth 10.  Statues could require 1 stone/bar and lots of time to make, or 2 stone or 2 bars and only a little more time to make, and still be worth 25.

A rethink of craftmaking speed and workshop clutter.  At present, skilled dwarves work incredibly quickly.  Workshops rapidly become cluttered, and clutter requires a significant amount of micromanagement first to keep tabs on and then to sort out.  Either you have to maintain an efficient haulage cycle (no easy task if you have other tasks that need doing), or you have to keep replacing the workshops.  None of this makes gameplay sense.  I propose that the time required for a legendary dwarf to make anything be increased about four-fold, that required for dabbling dwarves to be unchanged, and the time required at other skill levels to be increased in linear progression.  I further propose that either workshops never become cluttered, or that craftdwarves themselves dump the product immediately outside the shop.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 02:13:31 pm by Fedor »
Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Dear Toady. All I want for Christmas is... (DF requests)
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 04:34:26 pm »

ooh. I especially want my dwarves to engrave BOTH sides of a wall. they only engrave one side (and can be very stubborn about doing it on the wrong side no matter what) and once an engraving is done, that's it. I have to build every room with walls 2 tiles thick just to make sure they engrave the inside without locking them in and screwing up the fort)
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 10:06:13 pm »

ooh. I especially want my dwarves to engrave BOTH sides of a wall. they only engrave one side (and can be very stubborn about doing it on the wrong side no matter what) and once an engraving is done, that's it. I have to build every room with walls 2 tiles thick just to make sure they engrave the inside without locking them in and screwing up the fort)

I believe that if you put a suspended wall construction on the side you don't want engraved your dwarves won't engrave on that side. It is frustrating when a wall separates two areas you want brought up to legendary value though (such as the bed and dining room in your royal suite).
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 10:17:17 pm »

Er, the side the dwarf engraves from doesn't matter. A wall tile with an engraving is a wall tile with an engraving. It doesn't face one way or the other at all.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 01:18:38 am »

Although iirc, the game DOES keep data about which side is engraved, it just doesn't make use of it.
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 04:02:08 am »

really? From what I have been told it seemed that the wall was engraved on one side, and that side only got the engraving. Can someone do a test on this for me please? (or linky)
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 10:24:11 am »

I've been told that it only effects the side engraved, but the wiki does not mention this. I usually don't start engraving rooms until my engraver is legendary, so it often doesn't matter, but some confirmation would be nice.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Kilo24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 10:43:21 am »

From what I've heard, the engraving only triggers a room value update on one side.  Rooms on the other side need to be redesignated to recalculate the value.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 11:08:59 am »

From what I've heard, the engraving only triggers a room value update on one side.  Rooms on the other side need to be redesignated to recalculate the value.

Smoothing will smooth both sides but engrawing will decore only one side
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 12:29:29 pm »

All you have to do is re-designate the rooms, then rooms on both sides of the wall get the same value.

Its been tested.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 12:35:29 pm »

All you have to do is re-designate the rooms, then rooms on both sides of the wall get the same value.

Its been tested.
Please don't make me retest it everytime someone says "no"
because I am entirely 100% sure that engravings only count for one side, and only a room on that side recieves the value bonus.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 07:13:22 am »

Speaking of odd colored walls, it'd be nice to be able to use a chunk of rock to turn the wall into that material. Constructed walls look different than natural ones and reveal the terrain behind them so they don't work too well. It'd be an abstracted way of veneering the wall