Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves stuck in air! Cant get them out.  (Read 2543 times)

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Dwarves stuck in air! Cant get them out.
« on: November 26, 2009, 06:18:16 pm »

I dont know whether or not this is a common problem, but I havnt found any thread about it, so I made this one.

In short, I messed up on removing a stack of up/down stairs which was positioned right above my densely populated meeting area, which in turn was positioned right above my densely populated barracks.

It carved a rather devistating path though 2 unlucky dwarves, and send many other sprawling about the place.

Now, this loss would be surmountable if I hadnt been so unwise as to save the game while my dwarves were still falling.

After I loaded the game, all of them were still falling, but not... falling. They are just stuck on the air with their cyan-colored backgrounds, not reaching the ground.

I havnt found any way to get them stop this, even building a floor under them or building a wall INSIDE them didnt help.

So, is some trick or utility with which I can fix this?
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves stuck in air! Cant get them out.
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 08:06:46 pm »

I've encountered this glitch myself (similar conditions, saving while flying). In the past there have been tales of mysterious floating goblins in the same vein.

I once heard someone advise trying a cave-in. But I don't recall any solutions to this problem that work.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 08:09:45 pm »

Yeah, the goblins getting stuck in mid-air isn't fun, especially when it leads to a state of perpetual siege.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 08:58:15 pm »

Try to use dwarf companion to fix it.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 10:31:26 pm »

Try to use dwarf companion to fix it.

Specifically:

My experience: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=25838.0
Me helping Warlord with the same problem: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=27140.0

Basically you use Dwarf Companion to remove the "projectile" state from the goblin, except the bit flags seem to be mislabeled so you just have to uncheck all of them, which should result in the goblin falling to the ground.  Actually finding the goblin in the list can be tricky though, since he might be labeled as dead already.

When you open Dwarf Companion, you'll get a list of creatures.  You'll have to find the floating dwarves in this list.  If you remember their names or whatever, great.  Otherwise you might have to figure it out by process of elimination (you can also use Dwarf Companion's "zoom to creature" feature to figure out if they're the right ones).

uberubert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 11:04:08 pm »

Whatever happened to "If in doubt, apply magma" ?
Uberubert cancels forum post: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 11:11:09 pm »

Whatever happened to "If in doubt, apply magma" ?

I tried that when it happened to me.  I even tried teleporting them to the bottom of a magma flow.  They didn't die.  The projectile state is basically a state of high-velocity limbo, or I guess just limbo in this case.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 11:41:13 pm »

Wait, so high-speed flying creatures are not affected by magma? We can make a magma door then and fling our dwarves through it with a bridge!
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 11:44:53 pm »

Yup, they're unaffected while they're flying.  I've seen it dozens of times -- if someone falls down a magma pipe, they don't burn up until they stop falling.

uberubert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 12:17:18 am »

So we finally found one thing that magma cannot fix..?  :o I dare not fully believe it!

*shivers*
It doesnt count! Its a bug! magma should never be faced with bugs! omg, universe is collapsing!
Uberubert cancels forum post: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 07:41:38 pm »

Ok, after after spending time grumbling at dwarf companion not working on d16, spending time on getting the d-less version, getting that version to work with my tileset, doing something wrong in the init causing the game to not respond upon starting, I finally got dwarf companion to work on my fort.

Some time later I found out that the checkbox named 0x1.4 defines whether or not the creature is falling. (after turning my ever-falling king into an olm, a blood gnat and a giant eagle, to see if that made him stop falling. It didnt. Also, no amouth of wounding or even checking the 'dead' checkbox killed him. Falling is immortality! Jump into a chasm and live forever!)

Funny watching them suddenly drop out the air and splat on the floor too. Like suddenly gravity remembered them, saying 'oops damn, forgot. Down with you!'.

Hardly suprising in DF. I think the DF laws of physics spend most of their time whimpering in a corner.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2009, 07:44:32 pm »

0x1.4.  I'll note that down for next time this comes up.  Thanks for the after-action report.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2009, 03:37:22 am »

So we finally found one thing that magma cannot fix..?  :o I dare not fully believe it!

*shivers*
It doesnt count! Its a bug! magma should never be faced with bugs! omg, universe is collapsing!
but this possibility is due to the unique properties of magma that are abuseable.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2009, 03:46:35 am »

Geez, is there no joke that people here won't nitpick?