Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: dwarf-made water pipe  (Read 628 times)

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
dwarf-made water pipe
« on: July 30, 2009, 04:55:26 pm »

hello dwarfen gamers,

i was wondering if its possible to make a dwarf-made subterranean water pipe,and if you can,are you able to fish in it?
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: dwarf-made water pipe
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 04:58:49 pm »

It's called an aquaduct.  Just create a path for the water, it will flow, fish will spawn - you got it.

You can do this with tunneling, and/or building walls (and a roof via ceiling, if desired through open areas). 

Read the wiki on "water pressure".

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 05:16:38 pm »

For a moment, I thought the title implied dwarven smoking apparatus. :P

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 05:33:31 pm »

Duuuuuuude.... where's my axe?  8)

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 05:35:19 pm »

I was kinda hoping it was a 20 z-level megaproject of said apparatus. But I guess that would have shown up in a different forum...

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 06:08:32 pm »

yes but you will only catch turtles and they will run out after a while and never respawn.

You might see other 'vermin' fish in the water like eels and whatnot, but you won't ever catch them.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 07:06:43 pm »

Anyways, though: yes, it is perfectly possible to make underground aqueducts. If they're on the same Z-level as the water they're tapping into, it's advisable to make them 2 tiles wide instead of 1, the fluid seems to flow a little faster, so evaporation doesn't stymie it from reaching its destination. If the source is an underground river or pond, this also means that a single tower cap popping up in the pipe does not completely block the water. My current fort has problems with the waterfall reservoir's water supply being cut off by tower caps once in a while as they mature. Had I made it 2 or 3 tiles wide in the first place, this wouldn't have happened.

If at all possible though, tap into the water source from 1 level below. The aqueduct should fill very rapidly. Just be sure that the other end of the pipe is not lower than the water source. It will flood, instantly.

You can fish turtles from aqueducts, too... but be careful not to overfish.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 07:19:03 pm »

Be sure the water has a place to run off into, such as fortifications on the edge of hte map or a pit/chasm. Also to reduce the risk of overflow due to water pressure where the water is exposed to your fort/dwarves, use pumps or make the water flow diagonal:
Code: [Select]
   XXXXX
XXXX~~~~
~~~X~~~~
XXXX~~~~
   XXXXX
to depresurize it. (granted you can still keep the hall the same general width, but you get the idea.
Flood gates are good to for cuting off the flow in case of emergencies.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 09:20:53 pm »

That's not diagonal.  That's blocked.  Did you mean this?

Code: [Select]
   XXXXX
XXXX~~~~
~~~~X~~~
XXXX~~~~
   XXXXX

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 09:47:44 pm »

With regards to tower caps growing in the canals, just build a paved road in there and they won't grow. Alternatively, if you are digging out a canal in a rock area, just leave the stone there. Trees won't grow if a stone is already there. I sometimes floor the few squares where a stone isn't present to be safe, but if you don't forbid all the stone in the canal before doing so you'll start a cycle of using stone you meant to leave alone to build the floors, etc.

I had an elaborate plumbing system once that had a ton of 1 and 2 wide tunnels and it all gummed up after a couple years because of trees, so I got a crash course in tree prevention. ;)

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 10:03:22 pm »

well iwant to catch cave fish,and all i got was some crappy turtles,and im using a river as the water-pipe scorce
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.