Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Brink - Bethesda and Splash Damage's new FPS  (Read 9774 times)

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
Re: Brink - Bethesda and Splash Damage's new FPS
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2009, 04:39:23 am »

Makes you wonder doesn't it? It seems that RPGs have to choose either between presentation or content. For example, in Nethack, we can have so much content simply because the presentation is so simple. There's no voice work, no pretty pictures, nothing of that sort, so the devs can put everything they want inside the game.

Sort of like the isometric Fallouts as well, where due to the reliance of text, they can throw in tonnes and tonnes of stuff. I guess the deal breaker would be Planescape: Torment... as it kinda worked with everything being awesome, with ample voicework as well.

I'd like to think that if Fallout 3 or Oblivion didn't have any voicework at all, there would be a whole lot more to do in the games and everything would make a whole lot more sense. They wouldn't have had to worry about voice actors reading their lines and so, could write whatever the heck they want into the plot.

You're also forgetting what people buy.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2009, 04:46:55 am »

You're also forgetting what people buy.

Dammit, I knew that Wii Play would negatively affect video games!

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2009, 05:03:17 am »

Technically, just about all video games are RPGs, if you define RPG as a game where you play the role of someone else.
Which is why no sane gamer uses that definition. Much like nobody uses "games with action" to describe Action games or "games where you have an adventure" to describe Adventure games. The point of genres is to distinguish game types, not pointlessly mash them together due to naming vagueness.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]