Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 160 purring maggots - sound about right? :)  (Read 504 times)

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
160 purring maggots - sound about right? :)
« on: July 28, 2009, 09:44:03 pm »

I seem to have exhausted the supply of purring maggots at the bottomless pit after a decade of trapping - somewhere around 160.  Not that I need more, but will more ever come back?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: 160 purring maggots - sound about right? :)
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 09:55:42 pm »

Generally animals have a limited population, as Toady has yet to work in reproduction outside of your fortress. However, nobody has done studies on vermin as they act more like items and not like real animals. What makes this more strange is that generally in a world there are millions upon millions of such vermin.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 10:00:24 pm »

There isn't much information available on this sort of thing, but vermin, in general, seem to be inexhaustible.

What you might try to do is catch vermin on other areas of the map.  There might be some limit to the total number of vermin that can be on the map, and all of the other vermin are preventing purring maggots from spawning.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 10:15:24 pm »

Not quite inexhaustible. I've fished out brooks of vermin-fish, to the point of pulling out every single turtle available.

Of course, the bottomless pit in my current fort has been 'fished' out of any creatures, due to them falling down the damn bottomless pit it empties into.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 11:18:04 pm »

The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World topic seems to imply that vermin can become extincted as well. I believe Martin mentioned running out of fire snakes.