Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: tried modding: messed up  (Read 479 times)

the Dregs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
tried modding: messed up
« on: July 28, 2009, 09:42:35 pm »

I decided to mess about with modding because it looks fun. I added a new domestic pet, the pangolin. It worked fine. Then I added a new plant, the punkin. It went in the game just fine too, but it erased plump helmets from the world for some reason. I made it by simply copypasting the plump helmet entry to the bottom of the file and modding most of the parameters. I left plump helmets at the top. What did I do wrong?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: tried modding: messed up
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 10:08:40 pm »

Did you keep the plant title (the first line in the "punkin" entry, in all caps) the same as plump helmets?

Those titles have to be unique within a file to work right.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 10:27:02 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 10:11:38 pm »

Hmmm, I'm gonna guess you need to generate a world after adding things like that.

The parser for the raws generally will overwrite the effects of any duplicate tags by using the last one it finds.  Since the plant raw is designed to take in multiple plant definitions, it popped the first plant specified, plum helms, off the list when it added the last plant specified, pumpkins, because the current world's list has a fixed length after generation.

But that is just an educated guess.  The suggested solution is still a world gen.  Similarly, you can't add a creature and expect it to show up without problems unless you generate a new world because the world gen places the populations.  It can't place populations for things it didn't know about at the time, though it would be really cool if you could do that...it'd be a programing nightmare, the kind that kills you in your sleep Freddy style. :P
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too

the Dregs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 10:20:31 pm »

Yup, I replaced the reaction title and worldgenned. Pangolins show up on embark, plump helmets don't. Maybe I accidentally clipped off a bit of the plump helmet section or something. Next time maybe I'll stick it at the top just under plump helmets.

Now I want to mod war dogs to be able to swim and breathe underwater. I'll call them battletoads or something. Lampreys, you are going down!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 03:32:53 am »

Did you rename the ID token from [MATGLOSS_PLANT:MUSHROOM_HELMET_PLUMP] to something else?

Every thing (creature/metal/item/entity/matgloss/whatever) should have an unique name tag in the first line. Check your errorlog.txt in DF main folder every time you start a game with modded raws.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository