Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Preventing spontaneous dwarf combustion  (Read 2704 times)

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Preventing spontaneous dwarf combustion
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2009, 06:21:31 pm »

As this info is not on the wiki, I'll bump it.

Mist does NOT give a water covering. Still looking for solution/evidence to settle this one way or another.

Would competent swimmers drown if unconscious?

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2009, 06:22:51 pm »

No, in fact they swim.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2009, 06:23:54 pm »

Unconscious + swimming = gills.  Yeah, DF is weird like that. They may drown when they wake up, though.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2009, 06:38:04 pm »

Unconscious + swimming = gills.  Yeah, DF is weird like that. They may drown when they wake up, though.

Maybe when learning to swim, they realize that they are REALLY bad at swimming. They also notice that fat has lower density than water, start to eat only foods with lots of fat. And then they do not swim but float. You can float even when unconscious.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2009, 06:53:56 pm »

Yep, that's confirmed with the sleeping while wet.

One of the miners is still alive and in a bed. I recruited them both, had them stand in tunnel that drains a pond. Only managed to put one bed down there, and the miner got to it and is getting washed with 1/7 water. The other dwarves can bring food and water to him.
Now, to see if this is sustainable, and if those feet can heal.

If so, I'll try it again with 2 beds and some better water management.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2009, 06:59:31 pm »

Just make them amphibious and drop them into a murky pool, turn on temperature, and dig out a ramp for them.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2009, 08:01:06 pm »

Problem is they won't rest like that. I've got them both in a better setup now, so they'll survive indefinitely. If they heal, that's something else entirely.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2009, 08:24:24 pm »

Question Resolved.

After a few weeks of soaking in 3/7 water, one of the two was moved to a dry bed, where, even after all the water covering was gone, they did NOT burst into flames.

The other is still recuperating in water, so the experiment will continue, but for now, it seems that you can put dwarves out/cool them off by using water for a long enough time.

The wounds, however, will need to heal 'naturally'.

Ranzear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2009, 01:44:00 pm »

More than likely they're remaining at an incredibly high body temperature from swimming in magma, and there is a delay after temperature is turned back on before their temperature is evaluated to be higher than their burning temperature and they then ignite.

Perhaps that delay is about how long it takes their temperature to drop a 'stage', and when it does finally drop their temp is then reevaluated to 'burning'.

Not entirely sure, but the water convection is likely helping. Perhaps ichor from temp-off magma swimming (Martins 'The most interersting dwarf in the world') also retains its temperature for a long time period and must cool sufficiently, but is otherwise harmless after enough convection.

It would seem then that turning temperature off merely disables the effects, but not the tracking of body and ambient temperatures.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2009, 11:00:03 am »

Exactly my thoughts.
This would likely only arise from turning temperatures off, but it does give you the potential to save valuable dwarfs.

I'd call this a Dwarven pickling chamber. Add some garlic and dill.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2009, 12:50:30 pm »

I'm surprised you didn't shoot for 4/7 water for free skill points

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2009, 01:46:49 pm »

Well, I have a setup that will allow for that, a door to block water access and a hatch outside to drain the water safely, but the miners were already better than novice swimmers from carving lots of ramps in the aquifer.
Anyway, you can't give them water or food if they're in 4/7. The tasks get cancelled.
Pages: 1 [2]