Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarves with Crossbows?  (Read 1237 times)

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves with Crossbows?
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2009, 09:40:13 pm »

Emm, I love my current fortress location... I was making a cistern when I found I was sitting on a friken gold mine. (Or, magnetite, which also contained so much native platinum it was insane.) I've got malachite, which can make copper, all the makings of steel, native platinum, various gems... All that good stuff. And heavily forested trees and plants in my other biome. I've got a river in the center and everything...
Same here. I have 1 layer of white sand on the very surface, 1 layer of silt loam underneath that, then layers of basalt. The basalt contains a large quantity of magnetite, which it self contains some platinum(I don't know how much, I am refraining from digging it until I have legendary miners). There is a magma pipe so I can easily make both metal and glass, and in addition lots of trees and flux for steel... man I love this place. No copper ore as of yet, though everything else makes up for it.

As far as bolts go, I usually make large quantities of wooden bolts. If I am unable to make metal ones, I will buy them from traders. Bone bolts seem too much of a hassle for me, as does anything derived from animals. Too much micromanagement for me, I like things as simple as possible, even if it is less productive in the long run.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2009, 10:11:00 pm »

The animal side of things is really easy once you've set things up. Hunters hunt, anything shite is put in the outside "decomposition" pile and anything worthwhile is shoved in the inside "miasma safe" pile. Then the work will really take care of itself. I find metalworking to be way harder on pointless micromanagement, so I ignore metals for the most part.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2009, 01:45:46 pm »

A bit of a related question, but how does one keep their marksdwarves adjacent to a fortification to utilize them anyway?

Station them near to the wall (but back enough that they all hang around in the room), then set a patrol line (x, select group, x to clear patrols, then p to place a patrol point, then move to another point at the other end of the fortification, and p again). The dwarves should then march up and down the line spending the maximum time near the walls.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.
Pages: 1 [2]