Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: One theme I like: isolated station  (Read 1100 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
One theme I like: isolated station
« on: July 27, 2009, 02:32:19 pm »

I like to play the White Chamber's soundtrack while playing dwarf fortress in a haunted or terrifying theme (undead is better, theme-wise, because bigger groups tend to expand). In principle I keep most of the fortress underground and "hidden" (meaning not too man outward things). I also keep "blast doors" (bridges) around to be able to isolate parts of the base at need. The idea is not to come even close to the nasty creatures outside, so I stay indoors as much as possible. I also try to avoid weapon traps (I might use, at most, one weapon weapon-traps), and the use of soldiers (at most I might train markdwarves). I might build secondary refuges around, as stocks, advanced defenses only accesible after passing through many passive defense layers, and so on. I might or might not start stranding outside immigrants, or tell them to build themselves some lodging elsewhere.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: One theme I like: isolated station
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 06:47:19 pm »

Sadly it's fairly easy to create a fortress that is simply cut off completely from the outside world, and entirely self-sufficient. I like the concept, but being totally impervious to any and all invading forces gets a little... dull after a while. :(

I expect this to change a bit with the introduction of underground threats - the ability of enemies to assault your fortress from below as well as above. You could accidentally tunnel into a dangerous region, directly into the soft underbelly of your residential district.

I'm hoping tunneling creatures make it into the next release, giving us the constant threat of intruders from any direction, into any part of our fortress. Talk about paranoia.

And the siege arc will probably introduce effective siege engines capable of getting past moats, through walls/drawbridges, and so on. I'm looking forward to that as well. :)

zarmazarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 08:52:17 pm »

When you make your fort, dig down into the ground instead of into the side of a mountain. You'll have stairs as your entrance. Build a bridge on to of that, put the lever inside the fort. XD.

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 09:22:08 pm »

Sadly it's fairly easy to create a fortress that is simply cut off completely from the outside world, and entirely self-sufficient. I like the concept, but being totally impervious to any and all invading forces gets a little... dull after a while. :(

I expect this to change a bit with the introduction of underground threats - the ability of enemies to assault your fortress from below as well as above. You could accidentally tunnel into a dangerous region, directly into the soft underbelly of your residential district.

I'm hoping tunneling creatures make it into the next release, giving us the constant threat of intruders from any direction, into any part of our fortress. Talk about paranoia.

And the siege arc will probably introduce effective siege engines capable of getting past moats, through walls/drawbridges, and so on. I'm looking forward to that as well. :)

Another thing that could change this is needing water for brewing. Makes securing your fortress a little bit trickier.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 09:37:32 pm »

Indeed. I try to cut my fortress off as much as possible, but outside water and traders stop me from completely isolating myself. I had a few types of lizard get into my fortress by swimming into a channelled area next to a brook and follow it all the way to my fortress (via underground water passage).
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 11:54:47 pm »

Another thing that could change this is needing water for brewing. Makes securing your fortress a little bit trickier.
Fortifications and Grates.... make is a little issue, you just need to start near water.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 12:08:22 am »

Fortifications and Grates.... make is a little issue, you just need to start near water.
Does. Not. Work.

Nilas Hadean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 05:30:16 am »

Does. Not. Work.
I am clueless from not having playing the game in two years, but couldn't you route water into the top of your fortress via a waterfall and expel the stream from the side of a cliff face?

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 07:25:36 am »

Does. Not. Work.
I am clueless from not having playing the game in two years, but couldn't you route water into the top of your fortress via a waterfall and expel the stream from the side of a cliff face?
This
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.