Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Error: not enough mechanisms  (Read 1863 times)

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Error: not enough mechanisms
« on: September 05, 2009, 01:17:35 am »

I came across this last night while building some fluid logic gates.

I had dug out and built a repeater and a signal inverter and was attempting to link the bridge in my signal inverter to my repeater, which I had built and tested earlier.  I was able to select the pressure plate in my repeater and choose add new task and to connect it to a bridge, but when I hit enter to select the bridge it gave me the error message "You don't have enough mechanisms." despite the fact I had a small stockpile with four mechanisms

Because I'd been testing the repeater, there was 5/7 water in the room, and once I recruited a dwarf and made him stand in the door so the water could drain out I had no problem setting up the linkage

Here's what my setup was and the error message. 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm using 40.d14, and I do get the same error message in vanilla DF extracted to a new folder with region file copied from what I'm using.

I didn't find this when I searched mechanism in the bug list, so I don't think it's there, didn't really loog beyond the first three or four pages in this forum.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Error: not enough mechanisms
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 02:32:28 am »

I think 5/7 is enough that dwarves won't path through it, and most things that use mechanisms check only for mechanisms that there's a path to.  If you want to test this, wall off a section of fortress and then try to use a supply outside the sealed area while inside the sealed area.  It won't (or shouldn't) show up on the list as available.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 02:46:29 am »

Hmm, that makes a lot more sense.

Though The water level might have been slightly lower, as this is a screenshot that I took today, it still would have been greater than four.

It took me until I'd subsequently hooked up the nine vertical spikes I'd built so far before I realized that it was the water flooding the plate causing the error, but I guess that's me being obtuse rather than a bug.  I think most of the other errors of this nature say something like "no path" or "item inaccessible", right?
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 01:08:27 pm »

I think most of the other errors of this nature say something like "no path" or "item inaccessible", right?

Of this particular nature, no.  Those tend to happen when a dwarf was already heading for an item that suddenly becomes inaccessible due to a map change.

It might be helpful if the game told you how large an area had been searched for items -- a low number would clue you in that there was an accessibility issue.