Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Requesting immigrants from the Liason  (Read 914 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Requesting immigrants from the Liason
« on: July 26, 2009, 01:16:34 am »

Seems logical. You would have a slider for total number, and sliders for professions. You can finally express the fact that you do not need soapers. Or call for more immigrants if you really need them. Or tell them to STOP COMING if there's a dwarf on every tile of Copperblazes. Etc.

Of course, this wouldn't be total control, it would still be effected primarily by the normal things.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Requesting immigrants from the Liason
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 02:06:34 am »

More like you determine capacity and the immigrants themselves decide whether they want to show up.

Or just make them all peasants.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 07:51:44 am by Pilsu »

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 12:42:40 pm »

Poor little soapmaker boat people, sailing around the world, looking for a fort to take them in, despite their unsightly novice rank in soapmaking

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 08:27:43 pm »

Does make sense. Just like you can specify goods, you could ask for certain people. The irritating thing with immigration now is that you get more <insert profession> if you do more <insert profession> jobs, when if you're doing more it's because you've got loads already, and if you're not doing a job it might be because you have no dwarves good at it!
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 08:29:21 pm »

Poor little soapmaker boat people, sailing around the world, looking for a fort to take them in, despite their unsightly novice rank in soapmaking

Actually, there are probably some fortresses built out of soap that might love to have them.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 09:48:41 pm »

Precisely! And since the computer will never know if you're training legendary soapmakers to get more attributes for your army, or because you want to build and live in a massive bar of soap, it would make far more sense simply to communicate your desires.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 10:58:45 pm »

The way I'd handle this is to have the liaison bring you a list of applicants for your fortress.  You could look at their precise skill sets and say aye/nay to each of them.

Or you could set immigration to uncontrolled.  This would allow faster growth (if you want that), by having migrants arrive each season.  With controlled immigration, you would select migrants in autumn and receive them in spring.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 08:30:02 am »

Damn you footkerchief, you search for just about everything. I swear you only appear when links are needed.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 09:19:20 am »

Damn you footkerchief, you search for just about everything. I swear you only appear when links are needed.

He's following the golden rule of the suggestions forum... He only speaks when he's got something useful to say, he's always polite, and he provides references.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 09:29:05 am »

I have like 4 or 5 bookmarked partial search thingers for DF Bug Reports,  Toady's post history (and mine), etc.  It's getting out of hand.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 09:30:32 am »

He's following the golden rule of the suggestions forum... He only speaks when he's got something useful to say, he's always polite, and he provides references.

Wait, he's following rules? I thought forums had those as a joke...

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 09:34:07 am »

Wait, he's following rules? I thought forums had those as a joke...

And that is why you fail ;)

Kaiern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 10:19:46 am »

The only thing that would suck, is if you liason dies when you only have like 30 dwarfs.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2009, 10:29:49 am »

The only thing that would suck, is if you liason dies when you only have like 30 dwarfs.

Long term, that issue should go away.  (It's an unfinished feature/bug, not a design element)