Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d12] Search selects aquifer when told not to  (Read 943 times)

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[40d12] Search selects aquifer when told not to
« on: July 03, 2009, 01:22:49 am »

(Meta: a similar report was given back in January, but without an example world.  Should I have necromanced?)

ftp://ftp.ocis.net/pub/users/ldeutsch/transient/aquifer.zip

If this world is searched for {6x6, Flux Yes, Aquifer No, River Yes, Magma Pipe Yes), it will choose an area in the "Steppe of Points" in the north of the map.  Both biomes in the selected play area have aquifers, in violation of the criteria.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: [40d12] Search selects aquifer when told not to
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 04:05:42 am »

Just checking:  Did it say it matched all criteria, or that it found a partial match?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 04:25:58 am »

Just checking:  Did it say it matched all criteria, or that it found a partial match?

Nope, it's a "Suitable Site".  In fact all criteria turn green at only 28/129 into the search.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 03:15:16 pm »

There's a slight bug with regards to aquifers and the map.  Moving the selection square 1 tile might get rid of the entire aquifer, as well as shrinking it away from a watersource (such as a river).  The spot shouldn't* have an aquifer on most of the area you're embarking on, but aquifers like to be fuzzy.

*Or should, but don't sometimes.  It's not clear which.  But some square says it doesn't have an aquifer, matches with the search, then the aquifer expands when the embark square is sized.

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 04:31:12 pm »

I'm just going to resurrect the thread by noting that I'm clearing the example save from my transient folder.  However, the example world can be easily reconstructed using a main seed of 3901070855.

The other two seeds do not appear to be relevant -- I tested a world with both set to 0 and the resulting world showed the bug, although it was a little odd, having advanced to "The Golden Age".  Perhaps Toady's RNG doesn't handle 0 seeds well...

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 07:59:01 pm »

World seed is irrelevant:

There's a slight bug with regards to aquifers and the map.  Moving the selection square 1 tile might get rid of the entire aquifer, as well as shrinking it away from a watersource (such as a river).  The spot shouldn't* have an aquifer on most of the area you're embarking on, but aquifers like to be fuzzy.

*Or should, but don't sometimes.  It's not clear which.  But some square says it doesn't have an aquifer, matches with the search, then the aquifer expands when the embark square is sized.

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 01:06:03 pm »

World seed is irrelevant:
It's useful to have the seed on the record since this bug doesn't show up on most worlds.

As for moving the selector, I've tried shifting the selected area to different blocks, and haven't seen the aquifer indication vanish on either biome.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 11:34:20 pm »

I have just had that bug show up in two worlds, one generated after the other. It's very vexing. What can be done?
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 06:15:18 am »

Maybe not use the site finder? I've had similar problems (plus it takes a long time to search in a large size world), so I stopped using it a long time ago.

Edit: Actually, I've decided to use it again since I have a tendency to lose track of a site easily :P
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 07:22:09 am by smjjames »

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 09:29:59 am »

Just a wild guess, but is it possible that negative matches only ensure you have one biome without that element?
Akur Akir Akam!

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 12:28:04 am »

Just a wild guess, but is it possible that negative matches only ensure you have one biome without that element?
That is accounted for.  The seed and criteria given matches an area with two biomes.  Both have aquifers.