Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Less hardcoding, please  (Read 1104 times)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Less hardcoding, please
« on: July 20, 2009, 04:53:02 pm »

There are lots of modifiable things in DF, but just when you've created the perfect version of this awesome game, you reach a stumbling block, and you can go no further.

These blocks? Hardcoding of course.

Why are moods hardcoded? the fire rate of ballistae? I'm sure you can all think of a thousand different things that you would like to do, if only a few of these things could be un-hardcoded. I don't know if it would be difficult, but as someone said in another forum: Toady (armok be with him) has proven that he can do ANYTHING".

So, this one goes out to you, oh great one. Un-hardcode some things. it would give you more time to get on with the big things if you gave us more of the little things to muck about with.

I know we're greedy little bastards. You give us all of DF (and the vast scope for mods), and we still ask for more, but it would be pretty cool to be able to embark with all the gear we want and stage little scenes without hoping that things will turn out right, or without having to go through three or four years (IC) to get there.

(This post was fueled by my desire to stage the normandy landings, with super ballistae and a never ending horde of goblins.)
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Infiltrator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Less hardcoding, please
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 05:06:38 pm »

(This post was fueled by my desire to stage the normandy landings, with super ballistae and a never ending horde of goblins.)
ROFL

Anyway, depending on how it was coded in the first place, it can be difficult to externalise some values. So it's a matter how messy Toady made his code, and if he can remember where things are. :P
And since, as far as I know, he doesn't want anybody else to see his code, I'd rather he work on the current improvements first. I'm certain it's on his to-do list, though.
GENERATION 25:
The second time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 2 to the generation. (Slight mutations allowed)
Sociopathic experiment.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 05:16:12 pm »

# RANDOMIZATION AND RAWS ARC: More things need to make it out to the raws, and when they arrive, there should be some ability to randomize what you get in play. Current raw objects such as creatures, entities, plants, metals or even stone should also be randomizable. This doesn't just include randomizing an existing entry, but, more importantly, the creation of entirely new objects. This behavior should be controlled by the world parameters so that you can run anything from a stock universe to a complete replacement of all existing raw objects. In worlds with random objects, the random objects need to be introduced to the player in such a way that familiarity can be gained (involving descriptions, back stories, etc.) so that it isn't just a mess of static with garbage names. Related to Core53, Core92, Core93, Core94, Core95 and Core96.

# Core53, MORE RAW FILES, (Future): Everything should be moved out of the code and into the raw folders, insofar as the processor will allow it. There needs to be a generalized framework for things like plant and animal related materials and products. Not all of the building types will make it out, but workshop and furnace types are certainly good candidates.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 06:20:46 pm »

Jesus Christ, footkerchief! I looked through the arcs and I didn't see that in there. I half suspect you of making up these arcs so you can show off :D
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 07:10:08 pm »

Jesus Christ, footkerchief! I looked through the arcs and I didn't see that in there. I half suspect you of making up these arcs so you can show off :D

Haha, I just Ctrl+F dev_single for likely words.  There's way too much dev info for a human being to fully absorb.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 02:31:45 am »

Haha, I just Ctrl+F dev_single for likely words.  There's way too much dev info for a human being to fully absorb.
i remember reading all of that.ALL of that. *shiver*
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.