Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Building & Construction Hit Points  (Read 969 times)

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
Building & Construction Hit Points
« on: July 25, 2009, 03:52:14 am »

Here's a small suggestion I thought of:

As of yet, Trolls and the like can smash down doors and the like, not (yet?) consturction like walls.
Trolls being able to smash down walls like a door would be inbalanced (very gravely). Thus I suggest that depending on the material and construction/building, those constructions or buildings have more or less hit points. As example, a simple woooden door has 10 hit points. A troll just deals 10 points of siege damage, the door will be smashed down in an instant. A rock door may have 20 hit points, and a steel door 30. Constructed wooden walls could have like 70 hit points, rock 90 and metal 110. Trolls would then require to be tweaked so that they can not perform a siege attack every turn. Also, except if there are many trolls, a good wall would take far too long to tear down, so more advanced siege weapons like catapults could be brought by goblins, dealing maybe 30 siege damage.

Whadd'ya think?
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Building & Construction Hit Points
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 04:42:45 am »

Toady wants nothing to do with hitpoints and other video game nonsense

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 05:02:53 am »

I remember he said something along the lines of 'Hit Points always seemed to me like a shortcut for lazy developpers'.
Well, in the end, deep inside the game mechanics there has to be something like Hit Points, but I think the main thing was not to use them as final concept and add the Broken, Mangled state.

But I understand it would add some stress to see if your military has the time to come defend the fort before trolls finish crushing the front door. Perhaps he could use the same mechanism he use for object rotting, except it wouldn't be based on time but on hits.
Or use the bodypart system and detailing what every building is made of, so you can destroy each part.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 07:48:05 am »

Construction wounds should be used. See the thread on mat based building destroyers for more.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Belteshazzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 10:22:25 pm »

I am in favor of all structures (natural objects like stone and trees included) having some kind of damage system. Primarily so that I can throw goblins through windows or let titans crack mountains with a single blow.
In the year 570, Kjerdregus occurred.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 02:32:09 am »

It'd have to be much more stringently material-based and certainly never as expressly stated. I could see some variant of "building wounds" flashing on a construction such as a wall indicating "Stressed/Fractured/Collapsing _____ Wall".
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 02:48:02 am »

Yeah, my explanation is pretty rudimentary, and it doesn't specifically have to be hit points, just some kind of damage system.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 08:27:23 pm »

This would make contruction a much more interesting process if the same stressed/cracked/collapsing system was based off of how much load it was bearing such as items, animals, and other constructions. This could also be applied to how easily said wall can be bashed down, for instance a wall stressed near collapse could be easily blown out by an enemy with a blunt weapon, or a flying object slamming into it.

Whitch creates a pretty awesome image;
Urist Mc badass strikes at the Orc wrestler!
The head is bashed into the body, an unrecogniseable mass.
The orc wrestler is propelled back by the force of the blow!
The orc wrestler slams into an obstacle!
The orc wrestler blows apart on impact!

The orc wrestler has been struck down.
A section of the cavern has collapsed!

The overloaded structure procedes to form a progressive collapse until it an all its occupants are reduced to regolith.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 08:29:57 pm by QuakeIV »
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 06:43:30 am »

Well, Toady already use hitpoints or other "videogame nonsense" for everything. Open a creature's raw file, you'll see things like [[ATTACK:blow:1:2]] or [[DAMBLOCK:2]] everywhere, he just don't want it to appear ingame, which can be done easily.

A troll just deals 10 points of siege damage, the door will be smashed down in an instant. A rock door may have 20 hit points, and a steel door 30. Constructed wooden walls could have like 70 hit points, rock 90 and metal 110. Trolls would then require to be tweaked so that they can not perform a siege attack every turn.

Simpler way : a troll deals 1 point of damage each turn.