Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Why won't my gnomes use tools?  (Read 1477 times)

snuflufagus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why won't my gnomes use tools?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2009, 08:34:42 pm »

I've tinkered with the gnomes a bit and have learned a few things.

Any civ lacking [MINOR_METAL], [WOOD_PREF], or [METAL_PREF] will generally make all of its weapons and armor from metals with 100% damage/block.

Any civ with [WOOD_PREF] will generally make all its weapons and armor from wood.  These being mountain gnomes and not forest gnomes (aka retarded elves), we'll ignore this.  I'm not sure how this would affect a player civ since only collaborators and traitors make their sparring weapons from wood.

[MINOR_METAL] only affects worldgen and civs - playing a [MINOR_METAL] civ in fortress mode only seems to affect which weapons and armor grade metals (copper and silver) you can embark with; you can still smelt and forge whichever metals you can find or embark with other ore.  Also note that if you play a minor metal civ, you'll probably need to add [ANVIL] to copper or silver.  [MINOR_METAL] also causes some FUN stuff to appear in stores for city civs if neither copper nor silver has [WEAPON_RANGED] on it.  (I posted a bug on this about a week ago...)

It seems that under some conditions, a civ can make armor out of fabic (sometimes found in city stores), but never have I seen any NPC use it nor do I know how to enable it for a player civ.

It seems that if you want to limit an entity to leather armor, you need to create a seperate ITEM_PANTS (e.g. ITEM_PANTS_LEGGINGS2) and remove the [METAL] tag from it, otherwise leggings will always be made out of the best metal allowed.  Then just erase the old leggings, chain and plate armor from the entity's available armor.  Alternately, you could just create custom armor for the gnomes and put whatever tags and values on them you wanted.

For example:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Or just let them walk around with leather chest protectors and no pants - it seems in character for gnomes.
Pages: 1 [2]