Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stop the clothesplotions?  (Read 660 times)

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stop the clothesplotions?
« on: July 25, 2009, 11:08:45 am »

So, one thing that irritates me is that the moment a character dies, all their clothes fly off. Even if they're shot in the head, they instantly go from "Goblin Speardwarf" to "Goblin Speardwarf, Narrow Silk Pants, Narrow Silk Shirt, Narrow Silk Hat, Narrow Silk..."

It would be much more convenient to have dwarves to just haul the corpse to the depot and THEN strip it.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stop the clothesplotions?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 12:26:43 pm »

Been suggested many, many times before. Dead bodies as containers for their items is a popular one.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 02:24:58 pm »

If it bothers you so much, mod the goblins to fight naked. The only thing that bothers me about goblins is they somehow can mass produce GCS silk. Dwarves need a lucky trap and the DM to do that.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 05:25:04 pm »

Doesn't training a GCS make it stop producing webs?
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 05:35:22 pm »

No, you just need something to trigger them into web-making, so I've heard as I haven't seen or even run into a GCS yet..... I thought they are suppoused to inhabit both types of chasms.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 07:26:17 pm »

You basically have two options when it comes to GCS: tame them, at which point they won't attack your dwarves, making web collection safer but web generation harder, or leave them wild, making web generation easier (since they'll shoot at any random animal or peasant you drop on them) but web collection much more dangerous. Generally the problem with the first approach is finding a way to get them to shoot at a hostile target without losing the hostile target and with being able to recapture it so it doesn't frighten dwarves away from the web collection area, and the problem with the second is finding a way to get them to not kill the friendly units and then get them away from the collection area so it doesn't kill your weavers.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 08:21:51 pm »

You basically have two options when it comes to GCS: tame them, at which point they won't attack your dwarves, making web collection safer but web generation harder, or leave them wild, making web generation easier (since they'll shoot at any random animal or peasant you drop on them) but web collection much more dangerous. Generally the problem with the first approach is finding a way to get them to shoot at a hostile target without losing the hostile target and with being able to recapture it so it doesn't frighten dwarves away from the web collection area, and the problem with the second is finding a way to get them to not kill the friendly units and then get them away from the collection area so it doesn't kill your weavers.
Chain the GCS in sight of a goblin behind a window. Set up a floodgate to drop in front of the window to hide it from view after it slings it's webs. Problem solved.

Alternatively, an unarmed goblin/kobold won't even hurt a GCS. Drop them into the pit, let the GCS web and kill them, then collect the webs and lewts. Easy and fun.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 02:29:21 am »

The spider needs to be able to path to the critter but you might be able to abuse the pet block on doors

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 02:33:51 am »

Chain the GCS in sight of a goblin behind a window. Set up a floodgate to drop in front of the window to hide it from view after it slings it's webs. Problem solved.

Alternatively, an unarmed goblin/kobold won't even hurt a GCS. Drop them into the pit, let the GCS web and kill them, then collect the webs and lewts. Easy and fun.

The one time I had a GCS, I simply fed it immigrants to generate the webs, and re-trapped it by baiting it with a kitten on a leash.

That said, corpses as containers is definitely a must, as well as tombs as proper containers. Then we can bury our soldiers in their armor, and make fine funereal shrouds for our adventurers to find when they go graverobbing.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 06:25:48 am »

I've never yet managed to find a GCS, but my plan is to tame it and then stake a naked goblin out.  I capture plenty with cage traps.
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.