Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Giant cave spiders and how NOT to try capture them...  (Read 1219 times)

jokuvaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Giant cave spiders and how NOT to try capture them...
« on: July 28, 2009, 05:07:01 am »

Well my story is follows, as i founded my dwarven settlement it soon became obvious that my bottomless pit contained giant cave spider as it went to chew on my weaver before returning to its pit, so of course i got this brilliant idea that i just MUST capture it, so i build door to entrance it used and then cage trap right after it , tada, so far so good, door built and  so is cagetrap, and my new weaver is happily collecting spider silk while i wait spider would come through door, well eventually it does follow my new peasant promoted weaver, paralyzes him right at the cage meant for the spider, then it goes on rampage attacking my dwarves ,until there is like 5 remaining of total of 15 when it finally decides to return to its pit and i lock the door behind it and throw the key away, while rest of my dwarves are having some serious tantrum spiralling and my wrestler goes insane and kills every single last dwarf in the fortress, so now my population in the fort is two...

The insane wrestler and the idiot peasant who caged himself...

Ahh the joy. ;D
Thikut Inethmuzish, Recruit cancels Shooting at Archery Range: Too Insane.

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
Re: Giant cave spiders and how NOT to try capture them...
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 06:42:14 am »

Sounds like you had Fun™
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Retales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 09:32:08 am »

I also had some Fun with a GCS recently. Luckily enough, I spotted it from a level below with no direct access, so I had time to prepare. I then prepared a corridor with some cage traps in it (in case there are more/other hidden creatures waiting. I opened the corridor and expected the GCS to come straight at the dwarves running on the lower level.

Time passed, and the Spider kept stalking. Eventually some vermin died near its (hidden) webs, and a stupid and unlucky dwarf went to store the vermin in the refuse stockpile. The poor sod soon faced a horrible end. I quickly forbid all the dwarven and vermin remains to stop other dwarves from wandering in there. This didn't stop brave Rakust from trying to clean the dwarfblood under the GCS. This kind of cycle went on until five dwarves had perished, before it was finally caught in a cage trap.

Great victory, but I don't know where the dumb dwarves put the cage afterwards -_- . I'm afraid the cage somehow had gotten a dump-designation and was thrown into magma.
Quote from: roundedge link=topic=27527.msg362681#msg362681
And so, little dwarfling if to mayor you rise
never forget to heed this advice
when it's items outdoors, no matter how small
remember remember to forbid them all.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 10:45:22 am »

Great candidate for a reclaim. ;)

I love reclaims where something went Horribly Wrong. It sets up a nice horror backstory for the reclaiming dwarves.

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 10:57:58 am »

The insane wrestler and the idiot peasant who caged himself...
Yeah, if only one of the smarter dorfs was around to educate him. Oh wait, they're dead. Not so stupid now, is he?

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 09:29:17 pm »

Cages don't just keep bad monsters in... they can keep bad monsters OUT too!  ;)