Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Blinking cursors on re-center  (Read 800 times)

puffs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Blinking cursors on re-center
« on: December 13, 2007, 08:28:00 pm »

Is it possible to make the yellow 'X' cursor for look-around mode/unit-viewing (like when you zoom to a squad commander) blink? Sometimes it's extremely hard to find the cursor in a crowded room.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Re: Blinking cursors on re-center
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 09:29:00 pm »

Yes, please!
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 11:16:00 pm »

Normally I hate blinking, but... I could see an exception for this. I usually have to move the cursor around to find it (especially in, say, a yellow sand desert or an area rich in orthoclase).

Maybe just cycling colors or something instead.

000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 01:47:21 pm »

(Yes I know this thread is ancient, that's what happens when you SEARC)

I would really like to see this added. Not only would it help you find the cursor, it would let you see what's under the cursor. That you can't currently is a bit annoying. Additionally, instead of the X, it could use a more traditional reverse video effect, that should insure it shows up on pretty much any background.
Akur Akir Akam!

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 03:05:27 pm »

LMAO...

Well played Mana...

Edit:  The Suggestion forum is a perfectly acceptable place to bring up old threads.  It means that you understand what other people have said about a topic and aren't just saying the same thing over again.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 03:07:24 pm by Granite26 »

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 04:23:34 pm »

How about just a hollow rectangle around the tile? That'd let you see what's in the tile no problem, and it'd be more distinctive than an X. It should probably still be animated in some way, though.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 12:38:24 am »

I'm guessing Toady wants to stick to standard ASCII symbols, for style or whatever. I was thinking that flashing the tile reverse-video* might be a nice option.

*Or the closest equivalent within the pallet it uses.
Akur Akir Akam!