Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Suggestions by a new player  (Read 2367 times)

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions by a new player
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2009, 12:40:39 pm »

hang around the edge of my map

As far as I know, if anyone is hanging around the edge of your map, you're doing something wrong. Is your map's edge near where your wagon used to be, by any chance? You should either designate a meeting zone via 'i' or tag a public dining room, sculpture garden, zoo, etc as a meeting hall.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2009, 01:22:29 pm »

I agree with the idea of doctors but I highly disagree with the idea of using Doctors to bypass existing problems within the game.

Dwarf Injuries are a problem so much as they are willing to become bed ridden for what constitutes a bruise, cut, or blister. The fact that they take forever to heal as well only aggrivates the problem.

A Doctor can only do so much for a Bruise that I'd like to bring up an old saying: "It is like trying to make a baby in a month by hiring nine women".

Though I do remember that there are ways to make the body heal faster (Closing wounds does this).

In Conclusion: The Doctor shouldn't be made to fix the problem. The Problem should be solved and the Doctor should expand on medicine as a whole (If anything injuries should get more serious once doctors are added)

I think the current plan is for doctor dwarves to increase healing rate, just like RL doctors do. Things like medicine, setting broken bones, sewing or wrapping wounds, salves for pain, giving antidotes, etc are probably what we're looking at, not waving your beard over a broken arm and healing it.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2009, 01:36:11 pm »

Yeah but he suggested it as a fix to the current wound system. Which is always a no

Phelix

• Bay Watcher
  • Mining is Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2009, 07:57:58 pm »

Yeah but he suggested it as a fix to the current wound system. Which is always a no

Well no I just meant it as something that would physically speed up injury recovery (a legendary doctor, working on only one patient may speed up said patient from a 3 year coma too a 1 year coma) and as for "permanent" injuries, I meant that in a way such as a loss of a leg is fixed by being replaced by a wooden one, which would allow the dwarf too move around again (at a slower pace of course) injuries would be taken on whether a doctor can heal them realistically (full body paralysis for example would not be treatable)

as for the schooling, yes assigning people apprentices sounds like a better idea (perhaps even speed up the work as the apprentice fetches some of the items for the worker & cleans up the area)

and it is specifically the Elder Dwarf from secret of mana, which is my all time favorite video game (because of nostalgia)
"An Ambush! Curse them!"
Pages: 1 [2]