Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Decoration question  (Read 850 times)

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Decoration question
« on: April 06, 2009, 09:28:33 pm »

Can items not be decorated with the same material they're made from?

I'm asking because I have several crates full of green glass goblets/toys/instruments, and my gem setter refuses to stud them with green glass, and claims there are no improvable items.

Or is it just a property of glass goods?

krimsaun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Decoration question
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 09:46:06 pm »

An item cannot be decorated with an item of the same material. Artifacts tend to ignore this, though.

If you want to decorate that green glass, decorate it with other stuff, like bone or leather. You can still stud other things with that green glass, but not your green glass goodies.

EDIT: Disregard that, my metalcrafter just put iron studs in an iron throne. I must've gotten confused with how items can't be decorated with the same material twice, meaning a granite table encrusted with green glass can't have any more green glass decorations in it.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 03:02:51 am by krimsaun »

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 10:09:09 pm »

I see. Lame. :/

I don't have any leather or bones in this fort. I guess I'll try clear glass, then.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 10:23:04 pm »

Things can be decorated with what they're made from. For example, goblin bone crafts decorated with spikes of goblin bone.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

dieinafire

• Bay Watcher
  • needs alcohol to get through the day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 05:17:32 pm »

i have 4 clear glass statues i want to stud with aluminum, but metalcrafter wont do it... what gives?

*edit*
nevermind, he was going for furnitute 1 z-lvl down, even though statues are 2 tiles away. d-b-f everything there and i was good.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 05:22:50 pm by dieinafire »

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 06:37:29 pm »

You can only decorate an item one time per material.

Also, only a single image can be sewn into the item, and only for soft items. This means you can only decorate it once with cloth, silk, or leather.

But lets say you have a breeding farm going on with 4-5 different animal types. Thats 4-5 different decorations per item. Get yourself some legendary bone crafters, and you're going to seriously beef up the item's value. Bone is the easiest for mass decoration, though metal can be quite useful if you have some sort of stone prospecting mod, otherwise metal is a very limited resource.