Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stockpiling Clothing, need help  (Read 349 times)

Khyron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stockpiling Clothing, need help
« on: July 27, 2009, 12:51:25 pm »

I'm trying to create a total of four stockpiles and I'm having some trouble getting them right.

The first stockpile I want to create is near my Smelters. I'd like it to contain any UNUSABLE metal armor that I can melt down.

The second stockpile I want to create is near my Barracks. I'd like it to contain any USABLE armor for my soldiers.

The third stockpile I want to create is near my Trade Depot. I'd like it to contain any UNUSABLE clothing to trade off to the caravans.

The last stockpile I want to create is near my shopping plaza/living quarters, containing any USABLE clothing for my dwarves to wear, buy, whatever.

The stockpiles for meltable armor and usable armor seems to work. The clothing stockpiles do not.

When I create a 'finished goods' stockpile I am able to store plant fiber, silk, and leather clothing but the 'Narrow Cave Spider Silk Trousers' are lumped in with the 'Pig Tail Cloaks'. If I wish to trade then I have to haul ALL of my clothing bins to the trade depot, including all the stuff I want to keep around the fort.

I tried to create an 'Armor' stockpile with the following settings :

No metals/Bone/Shell/Rock/Glass/Wood.
No Chain Mail/Plate Mail/Helm/Leggings/Greaves/gauntlets/High&Low Boots.
I disabled 'Unusable'.

Plant Fiber, Silk, Leather were turned on as were all other types (Dresses, Tunics, Etc). Usable was turned on.

The problem was that NOTHING was stored in that stockpile.

Is there any way to separate out the items like I want to above?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 12:55:48 pm by Khyron »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Stockpiling Clothing, need help
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 12:59:50 pm »

Sadly, no. Clothes are classified as finished goods, unfortunately, despite all that junk in the armor stockpile settings.

You can try setting up a finished goods stockpile to accept only plant fiber and silk items of basic quality. That might get all that narrow goblin junk, but it might get somebody's mildly damaged pig tail sock, as well.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 01:06:32 pm »

Your best options are going to be filtering by material type and quality.

Until clothing is reassessed there is no really good reason to keep clothing around.

Khyron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 01:08:33 pm »

That really sucks, but I can work around it. Thanks :)

I'm glad you mentioned the quality thing though, that brings up another issue I had.

Early in the game I set up a craftsdwarf workshop outside to pump out mass quantities of cheap stone mugs and crafts for trading early on. This latest game I got an early immigration and an early mood; they created an artifact ring. I moved everything indoors and set up a finished goods stockpile that ONLY accepts artifact-quality items, and disabled the artifact-quality on the outdoor stockpile, but nobody would move the ring inside. Any ideas why?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 01:15:48 pm »

Try setting the artifact stockpile to take from the stockpile the ring is currently stored in. A dwarf should get around to hauling it.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.