Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Urist McArmorer has claimed a Mason's Workshop ... huh?  (Read 2521 times)

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
Re: Urist McArmorer has claimed a Mason's Workshop ... huh?
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2009, 08:40:07 pm »

I'm sorry, a gabbro statue is pretty dissapointing when I was expecting some armor. So ... weaponsmiths and armorsmiths, no mining. Craftsdwarves, bonecarvers and woodcrafters ... mining!
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2009, 02:09:50 am »

Come to think of it, she might have had mining as well.

There are only 20 moodable skills - the highest experience wins the prize. Yours was a better miner than armorer, and probably had had "miner" as a listed profession unless you forced it with a custom one (a major flaw in that approach - custom profession labels don't influence moods at all.)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2009, 04:30:49 am »

Here's a tip: give all your farmers dabbling armorer/weaponsmith skills. Then give all your craftsdwarves mining experience so that it's their highest skill. That way you minimize your chance of creating a useless artifact. Even if it is a gabbro statue, at least you can construct it in the mayor's bedroom. Beats the hell out of another maple wood bracelet.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2009, 07:20:03 am »

Then give all your craftsdwarves mining experience so that it's their highest skill.

That is so unfeasible as to be irrelevant, if you ask me. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and claim that you don't actually use that approach or that your crafters aren't doing much crafting at all.

Pro tip: have your bonecrafter churn out bolts over a couple of years and he's gonna be beyond legendary +5. Have fun doing a whole shitload of useless mining trying to compensate for that.

In short, this shit isn't worth it.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2009, 08:25:03 am »

Yeah. I resign myself to a bunch of worthless artifacts, but at least they'll make good haulers. I'll have legendary dwarves stomping all over the place muttering about how they could create superb bolts forever, but instead they're hauling koalanite.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2009, 09:01:19 am »

H'uh. Lately I always seem to be getting the children having the moods.

Bonecarver. Stonecrafter. Woodcarver (That one got et before his beard came in, tho)...

all useless. I didn't plan on making htis a long term fortress, so they'll likely not even grow up. Any trick from keeping children from the Moods?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2009, 09:22:05 am »

H'uh. Lately I always seem to be getting the children having the moods.

Bonecarver. Stonecrafter. Woodcarver (That one got et before his beard came in, tho)...

all useless. I didn't plan on making htis a long term fortress, so they'll likely not even grow up. Any trick from keeping children from the Moods?

I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2009, 03:21:21 pm »

That is so unfeasible as to be irrelevant, if you ask me. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and claim that you don't actually use that approach or that your crafters aren't doing much crafting at all.

Not at all infeasible. I tend to rotate mining among my new recruits to get them experience and to produce less stone (I don't believe in dumping, except in something bottomless.). When making bone bolts you don't need quality (if you use them for target practice.) So I rotate apprentice bonecarvers in for that and leave the totems to the master.
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2009, 03:24:46 pm »

Not at all infeasible.

Whatever works for you, I guess.

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2009, 05:38:24 pm »

Argh.

I have two glassmakers but hadn't started my glass industry yet (working on the army). One of them gets a mood, and the ONLY thing he needs of his colleague is some raw green glass, the most trivial of items.

Urist McGlassmaker: I've got a brilliant idea, hand me some green glass.
Urist McLazy: Sure thing, after I have a drink, take a break, attend a party, eat, sleep, drink some more and take another break.
Urist McGlassmaker: Fine fine, just hurry up.
months pass
Urist McLazy: Oh, we're out of empty bags. Can't collect any sand to make glass with. I guess I'll go attend this new party at the Limestone statue.
Urist McGlassmaker: <foams at the mouth>

I just watched him let his colleague go crazy and die to a hail of bolts. Of course he was right, they were out of empty bags. Because some stupid dwarf had put a few seeds in each of the empty bags in the empty bag stockpile. What's that about?

I can't wait to dump these dwarves into some magma.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2009, 05:49:34 pm »

Here's a tip for you:

More micromanaging when there's still time to save the guy, less complaining afterwards.

Silenoz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2009, 07:59:58 pm »

Here's a tip for you:

More micromanaging when there's still time to save the guy, less complaining afterwards.

This! I had a mechanic go fey and request a turtle shell only to find out that I had failed miserably in setting up my indoor shell pile for moods. I ended up micromanaging trapping a turtle (when I had no fishers), dissecting it (when I had no dissectors), and then forcing the fortress to eat it by forbidding all other food for a day. When in doubt, micromanage!

I wonder if my immigrant glassmakers who are just being used as haulers will go fey. Wouldn't be so nice, considering the map has no sand.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2009, 08:20:43 pm »

If I'm on a map without sand, all my glassmakers are immediately drafted into the army so that they become soldiers and can't get moods. The recruit stage doesn't last long, so it's a pretty safe bet.

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2009, 11:42:40 pm »

Yeah, I do that too. It took me losing more than a few glassmakers before I caught on.
Pages: 1 [2]