Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DungeonDoom  (Read 763 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
DungeonDoom
« on: July 20, 2009, 10:09:18 pm »

DungeonDoom is a total conversion for Doom 3, turning it into a Roguelike FPSRPG.

I played this for a bit way back when, and decided to give it a whirl again just recently.  It's a ton of fun, and can really send you for a loop on certain occasions.  I was looking forward to setting this deal up again.

Well, I installed the non-Xpack version (seeing as I don't have RoE), and after a bit of patch madness managed to get it running.

It was at this point that I noticed something weird.  This wasn't the DungeonDoom I had played!  Where was the shopkeeper?  The creepy dude who asked you to run out into the wilderness and pick a flower in the middle of the night?  Where was the WILDERNESS?  And furthermore, why are there only three classes?

I concluded that I must have downloaded the wrong version.  I went back and got the latest version, even though it said it needed the RoE expansion pack.  This, of course, didn't run properly.  Any attempt at starting the mod would result in an immediate crash resulting in the Microsoft "Such-and-such has encountered an error, tell us about it!" message.

I tried installing the latest patch, instead of the recommended one (no compatibility).  Well, that of course saddled me with the more understandable "wrong version" error.  But it still wasn't working (obviously).

I *know* I played a later version of DungeonDoom before, and I also know that I never purchased or otherwise acquired the Resurrection of Evil expansion pack.  So what gives?  I tried a couple searches, but I haven't found a relevant case yet (everyone seems to be using the Xpack, stupid money-laden sods).

I'm aware that this is a rather obscure little item, but can anyone here offer some aid?  I have no idea what the exception was that allowed me to play before, but I'd sure as hell (har har) like to find it again.

And, just so this thread will get some actual use, I heartily recommend you Doom 3-owning gits to go out and give this mod a try.  It will tack on a rather sizable number of hours to your mileage.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: DungeonDoom
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 02:41:49 pm »

Huh.  I knew Doom 3 wasn't popular, but I thought at least *someone* had it.  I mean, I got it as a bonus packaged along with my new video card (new back then).

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DungeonDoom
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 08:34:06 am »

I've got it, and mean to check out the mod...

I only bought it because I'm an old-school Doom fan...HL2 whooped up on it something fierce...